Breast Cancer Expert Forum
mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

mammogram

I am 35 with dense breasts and had my first bilateral digital mammogram this week.  I have just a simple question: when a mammogram and/or ultrasound is done if the patient has fibrocystic breast changes is that something that would/should be noted on the findings?  

I had the bilateral mammo and a right breast ultrasound on the same day and I got a letter that my mammogram results were normal/benign.  I've not been previously diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts but I have an extremely thickened right breast that feels like it's probably fibrocystic changes (there is one small palpable lump and then a large thick, somewhat bumpy feeling area).  The lump is not new and has been followed and always found to be bi-rads 3 - it's way, way up in the upper quadrant where I've heard it's hard to get a good view on mammogram (hence the reason the ultrasound was also done).  But in addition  to that recently there is such a large area of change in my breast that I'm surprised nothing was noted on the mammogram.  Is this probably just because it's not considered suspicious?  Or does a mammogram not pick up fibrocystic changes?  Because it's definitely normal run of the mill breast tissue in my right breast, and even my husband noticed recently that my right breast is so much fuller now than the left that it hangs much lower than the left one, and a big portion of the outer quadrant actually squishes out the side of my bra and looks rather funny.  (*this was a digital mammo, which I was told would be more accurate than the kind of traditional mammograms I've had in the past.)

Thanks for your help!
Dear tiredpoet:  A mammogram may or may not report fibrocystic changes depending on the radiologist.  A mammogram will usually report dense breast tissue.