Breast Cancer Community
mass in breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

mass in breast

I had a diagnostice mamogram (mammogram) and ultrasound, upon which the radiologist recommended a biopsy.  In the report the mass is described as 1.7 cm mass with circumscribed margins and a central fatty hilum with blood flow seen in the hilar region.  It has features suggestive of a lymph node although this in not definitive.  Do other lesions look like a lymph node?  If it has a fatty lesion, it is generally considered benign, correct?  Why would the radiologist order a biopsy without a trial on antibiotics to see if I had some type of infection, or schedule a follow up mamogram (mammogram) in 6 months to see if it was still there?  It appears from everything I have read, what he is describing is a lymph node.  I am just unsure why he would give a BIRAD of 4, and recommend a biopsy when the entire description is of a lymph node, and from other information I have read it can be normal to have a lymph node of up to 2 cm in size.  

' In the report the mass is described as 1.7 cm mass with circumscribed margins and a central fatty hilum with blood flow seen in the hilar region. '

I think what the radiologist  finds suspicious is the extra blood flow going to the lesion.
That is sometimes an indicator for cancer.

KAT
I agree with katarina777 that the estra blood flow is a trigger for more testing.  Only a biopsy lets you know for sure what this lesion is.  A BIRADS score of 4 means that there are suspicious characteristics to the lesion and that further testing is warrented.  I look at it this way, it may turn out to be nothing of concern, but having the biopsy lets you get thoroughly checked out and find out definitively as soon as possible.  Either it is nothing and your mind will be put at ease, or it is something of concern and you identify it and begin treatment.

Those of us on this forum have been down the long road and are here to rejoice with you in your good news or support you if you join us on our way.  I am thinking of you.
I had my biopsy, and got the results.  It turned out to be a tubular adenoma.  I am a little out of the age range for that, but that was the diagnosis.  Just glad it was benign.  It was interesting to me though that the radiologist described what appeared to be a lymph node.