Breast Cancer Community
mastectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

mastectomy

I have breast cancer and was diagnosed last October.  I had 2 node glands removed and they were clear.  My two lumps in my left breast were removed and one of them had 3 cells round the margin, the cancer was grade 2.   I have had chemo and my last chemo which is no 6 is on thursday.     I am having a mastecomy in 6 weeks time.  My consultant said its a good prognosis and lumps were small.   Im just worried about them testing the breast, I thought that the chemo killed everything and ive had my lumps removed so i presumed that will be it.   Worried now because he said they have to test the breast is this normal?

This discussion is related to Lumpectomy as good as Mascectomy on Agressive tumor with cancer lymph nodes ?.
Hi wiggy,

Once you've had breast cancer, follow up will continue for many many years to make sure it has not spread. I also had mastectomies but just because they remove the breast doesn't mean they get ALL the breast tissue. It does however reduce your risk tremendously.

Are you getting immediate reconstruction at the time of your mastectomies?

Best wishes as you go through your treatment and surgeries. Please let us know how you're doing.
Hi wiggy,

I think your concern is very valid. You need to meet with the surgeon before the operation and ask him in the same way you asked us, and he better have an explanation. not that he/she made a mistake but because you are an active partner in your care and you have a right and need to know what this change of mind is about and not just push you off like as little kid. You can also try the oncologist and/or the radiation doctor. You need to know the full and true answer, and agree to such, before a mastectomy is performed. Take good care of yourself, Katrin
Hi wiggy161264:

You don't say how you got diagnosed with breast cancer, I had it too so I know how it is usually done. The first is the mammogram our best allied, them the images, if in the mammogram something is found to be suspicious then a biopsy. The biopsy is either a needle one if the required sample is not too big or done on the tumor/lump. If the required sample is larger then a surgical biopsy must be done and a larger sample is taken. After which ever of the two biopsies the sample is send to the pathologist who determines his findings in the sample. If the path report shows that there is a malignancy that has gone through the gland and into the margins, then is the time for your doctor to decide what treatment you will have.

A mastectomy is usually done when and if the malignancy has spread to the margins or past them and thus the lymph nodes maybe compromised, reason why there is a test to check the path from the breast to the lymph nodes. Then the surgeons give you several choices, 1] Chemotherapy  2] Radiotherapy  3] Both Chemo and Radiotherapy 4] A mastectomy to avoid both Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy 5] An Aromataze Inhibitor with oral pills, this treatment is after the surgery.  

There are many other possibilities depending on your ER, PR and HER2Neu. If your results were ER Positive, PR Negative and HER2NEU negative then I don't understand why you had a lumpectomy, then chemo and radiotherapy and now are going to have a mastectomy? If the mastectomy was a must why did you not have it right after the biopsy and path report? In my particular case I chose a mastectomy after the biopsy and path report because I did not want chemo and/or radiotherapy and I did not accept the AI oral treatment, not because I am scared but because this is my second primary cancer issue. There are no two cancers that are identical, never the less if your case is as mentioned, before the mastectomy you should get a second and third opinion from breast specialists.      

Loosing a breast is not physically painful but emotionally very painful.

Think it over.

Regards.

Marylou