Breast Cancer Expert Forum
medical

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

medical

I had an ultrasound today that confirmed that I have a tumor on my breast, however the doctor wasn't able to tell me if is going to be a begnie tumor or cancerous.
My doctor said that either way they are going to remove it to prevent something else in the future.
My questions is ( I hope I don't sound to frivolous) the size of my breast will change because of this?
Thanks.
Dear gigi092398:  An ultrasound cannot determine whether a tumor is benign or malignant.  A biopsy is necessary to confirm this.  Whether or not there will be any distortion of the breast depends on the amount of tissue to be removed as well as the amount of breast tissue you have.  Very small breasted women have a greater chance of significant changes in breast appearance compared to large breasted women.  Your doctor should be able to tell you what you can expect in this regard.
The reason your Dr.s didn't tell you that the tumor might be benign or malignant is because a biopsy is the only way to determine this. As to any change that might occur when this tumor is removed; it would depend on the size of the tumor and the amount of tissue that will need to be removed around it. By the way it isn't a frivolous question ... it's a legitimate concern.