Breast Cancer Expert Forum
medullary breast cancer
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

medullary breast cancer

iam 42 yrs old and deducted with medullary carcinoma of left breast in july2008.my er/pr and her-2 status is negative with no lymph nodes.i was given adjuvant treatment i.e lumpectomy,8 cycles of chemo and 30 sittings of radiation.now iam completely cured and back to normal life.but iam worried that i was not given hormonal treatment,as er/pr status is negative.i heard that triple negative cancers are aggressive.but mine is medullary whose prognosis is very good.iam confused and worried about recurrence.please guide and suggest any precautions for the future.
Related Discussions
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear arkshanthi,  Many breast cancers, especially those diagnosed at an early stage, are hormonally responsive - meaning that their cells grow in the presence of the “female” hormones estrogen (“E”) and progesterone (“P”). Both are naturally manufactured by and circulate in the human body, although at amounts that decrease after menopause, and with increasing age.   ER/PR status being negative means that the cells do not have estrogen or progesterone receptors on the cells, and would not be stimulated to grow by the presence of estrogen or progesterone.  Because of this, hormone treatment to block or lower estrogen would not be used to treat or prevent this type of breast cancer (ER/PR negative).  You may want to have a discussion with your oncologist about the follow-up plan now that you have completed your cancer treatment.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank