Breast Cancer Expert Forum
menopause and radiation
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

menopause and radiation

iam 42 yrs old,completed treatment for stage 2-A breast cancer.[lumpectomy,8 cycles chemo,30 fractions radiation] in feb 2009.iam triple negative with no nodes.at present iam taking 1000mg calcium only.my questions are
1.when will i get my menstrual cycle back? iam getting hot flashes some times.
2.is it safe to get back?
3.after radiation my left breast became hard and tender and some times paining.will it become normal?
4.is there any harm to my heart in future as, i got radiation on left side.
Related Discussions
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear arkshanthi, 1) Return of menstrual cycle that has been interrupted due to chemotherapy is difficult to say - it varies between individuals.  Sometimes particularly in women close to natural menopause, menstrual cycles may not return.  2) Return of menstrual cycles may be an indication of return of hormone levels.  In women with hormone receptor positive disease, medications are given to decrease estrogen levels in the body, even in post menopausal women.  With hormone receptor negative breast cancer - this is not necessary.  3) Check with your radiation oncologist to be sure all is progressing well with healing after radiation.  4) When giving radiation to the breast much care is given to shield the heart.  Again check with your radiation oncologist who can better reassure you regarding this question.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank