Breast Cancer Community
metaplastic carcinoma -breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

metaplastic carcinoma -breast cancer

I  am  a 47 yrs. old female and was recently diagnosed with Stage II metaplastic carcinoma in my left breast.  The tumor was 1.9 x1.8x1.2 cm. There was no invasion of the lymphnodes, nipple or venous systems.  The tumor had a nuclear grade  of III and the distance of the tumor to the closest margin was 2.5 cm. Extent of invasion:  pT1c; tubular formation:  minimal, less than 10%; mitotic count: less than 10 mitoses per 10HPF.  I underwent a bilateral masectomy at my choice and am going this week to discuss my post surgical treatment with my onocologist.  I am very interested in what is the best post operative treatment for this type of cancer.  I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.
The options you have are chemotherapy, radiotherapy and hormone relacement therapy along with a regular follow up. You would have to discuss all these options with your doctor and see what he thinks is best for you. Clear all doubts about the advantages and disadvantages of each. For hormone replacement therapy the important criteria is that your receptor status is positive. the doctor could also advise you on adjuvant radiotherapy which is chemotherapy + radiotherapy. A regular follow up is most essential. Goodluck.
If you are comfortable sharing the information, would you say what treatment options were possible and what you decided?

I am waiting to have this discussion with my team.  Because the pathology report wasn't ready after a week, the surgeon called to find out why.  The report is taking longer because of the metaplastic diagnosis.  Sometime after the report is issued and discussed with oncologist, I will go in for this discussion.

Hope treatment is going well for you.

"Suenos"