Breast Cancer Expert Forum
micro calcifications found in both breasts during Mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

What questions should I be asking the Radiologist/Dr? I just received the call from the Radiologist (today). My follow-up for "additional pictures" is tomorrow. I'm scared and have no local people to ask questions of. I've read some of the other postings and want to be well informed/armed when I go in tomorrow. I've had regular exams and no lumps have been detected. My previous Mammogram was over 5 years ago (ins.!) and I can't get the films for comparison. (I'm trying to get the report). Any help, advise or support would be very welcome.
Dear NJtoCAgirl:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
Microcalcifications present in breast tissue is a normal finding. The concern occurs when they are seen in certain clusters or patterns. Can't help you much with what questions to ask except "What does this mean?" If there is something seen on additional films I'm sure you will be guided in the appropriate direction. I have friends who are ALWAYS called back for additional views for one reason or another so that alone shouldn't really cause you too much alarm. Just take a deep breath and try not to imagine problems that might not exist. Wishing you the best of luck ....
I had 2 micro calcification clusters and everything turned out okay. I was a total wreck. Try hard not to do this to yourself. I understand your fear. Keep us posted. I'll keep you in my prayers. By the way, I'm a NY to CA girl.
Thank you. I'll try to follow you're advise....taking a deep breathe and heading out the door now.
How did things go today?  I just read your thread and went through the whole microcalcification thing also.  I made myself totally nuts since I was so nervous about the results of 2 biopsies that I had to take.  Everything turned out benign.  Just to let you know, approx. 80% of microcalcifications are benign.  Did they by any chance give you a BIRAD rating?  Best to you!!
How are you?  I hope that you are doing great after your whole ordeal.  Best to you!!  Suzie
I also had 2 clusters of microcalcifications.  One clustered and irregular and was listed as a birad3.  Was a total wreck since before Thanksgiving when I first found out.  Just had a stereotatic biopsy this week and got the results today.  All clear!!  I will get another baseline soon so we have a new mammo to compare since the biospy changed some things in the breast.  I am just so relieved.  This experience has been life changing.  I am humbled by many of the stories I have read about.  I have learned so much from this site from the wonderful women who post here.
I'm always alarmed when they call me back for magnifications, but the findings have been benign every time. The magnifications will help them decide if the calcifications are benign or suspicious. If they're suspicious they'll want to do a biopsy. Even the suspicious ones turn out benign the majority of the time. If they say the calcifications are suspicious I'd ask how they're arranged that makes them look suspicious (linear, clustered?) and ask what the Birad rating is.
Hi,Ihave been reading on this site because I just got a call from my DR. after my second mamo. they found microcal on my left breast. She is calling me back tommrow to set up an app. with a surgeon. Needless to say I have been in a fog very scared.I was wondering what the birad rateing means. Thanks for any info.
Best to you, to you, thanks. I am doing better. I don't supposed I will ever forget it and hope it doesn't happen again.
How are you?

scaredkathy, great news! I agree about this being life changing.

God bless you all.

Radiologists rate mammograms using bi-rads categories. 0=incomplete, more tests needed; 1=negative; 2=benign; 3=probably benign; 4=suspicious; 5=highly suggestive of malignancy.

Sorry to hear you have to go through this. Just remember that most calcifications turn out benign. Not knowing, and waiting for results drives us all nuts so we know how you feel. Let us know how your appointment goes.
two weeks ago I had a mammogram because I felt a change in my breast tissue on my left breast.  Because it has been a year since my last films the tech went a head and did both breasts.  The left side turned out to be a fibroid (had a biopsy last week) Yeah ME!! However, I am having a stereotactic bx tomorrow on my right breast for a cluster of 4 calcifications that have changed
"Significant change" can mean so many things. At least twice now I've had radiologists follow my calcifications over the years without realizing it until they called me in and showed me where they had circled the calcs over the past several mammograms and how they changed. I've had two biopsies for calcs and both were benign. My third biopsy was cancelled when a radiologist disagreed with two previous radiologists who were concerned about "significant change" in my calcifications that occured over a 6 month period. In other words "significant change" found by one radiologist looked like a "benign condition" to another. Even with my "benign" history I tend to worry. It's part of our nature. But, a high percentage of biopsies for calcifications turn out benign.  I'm glad to hear you're having a biopsy. Hopefully you'll join our "benign" group.
I'm relieved to see I'm not alone. I'm still worried. Not like I was, of course, but it's there. I'm having my physical in a month and I'm thinking, now what? Luckily, no mammogram until October. Were you told to wait a year?
Hope you're doing well.
Lauren
Wow, I am so impressed and pleased that this forum exists for women to share their knowledge, strength and hope with each other regarding breast disease.  I am 42 and just had my first mammo done last week.  My OBGYN has referred me to a specialist to review (?) my films and the radiologist's report.  I have multiple disseminated microcalcifications on both breasts, with no clustering.  The radiologist states that the findings are most likely related to sclerosing adenosis "although it is not symmetrical."  My question is about the birad rating.  I do not see one on the report and am wondering why it would not be there.  Is it perhaps that Canada does not use this system?  Also, what might the signifance be of the changes being "not symmetrical"?
Altho the radiologist termed my calcifications and lumps a benign condition he said I must follow-up with a diagnostic mammo and magnifications every 6 months. It could be because I have such dense tissue and so many lumps in addition to the calcifications.
I believe I read somewhere that Birad ratings were required on all mammogram reports in the U.S. Canada may not have that requirement. The way your calcifications are described sounds like they are the type that come normally with the aging process (although you're still very young!) I don't know the significance of the words "not symetrical" as used in your report. It's great that you're seeing a specialist who can answer your questions.
I've been reading what everyone else is going thru.  I just got my mamo back and it has knocked me off my feet.  I'm 53 yrs. old and it came back saying,There is a new suspicious geographic cluster of more than ten pleomorphic microcalcifications within the right upper-inner quadrant. Calcifications are not associated with a mass or architectural distortion. Calcifications should be amenable to a sterotactic procedure for an incisional biopsy. There are scattered areas of fibroglandular density. BI-RADS category 4 suspicious finding.  I went for a mamo because I was going to have a breast reduction done at the end of the month.  So this was a shock for my husband and I. I have a appointment with a oncologist on 1/17/07. And I'm scared.  Any advise would be appreciated. Prays go out to all of you.  Thank you for listening.
Hi kkish.  Most microcalcifications turn out to be benign, just a result of the natural aging process.  They will probably recommend a biopsy just to be sure, and it will put your worries to rest.  Yes, this is a very scary thing to have to go through!!  I'm sorry you are going through it.  The women who read and post to this site are wonderful, and we will be thinking of you.  Good luck with your upcoming appointment, and please keep us posted.
It's so hard to get the news "suspicious findings" and then have to wait and wait for biopsies and pathology reports. Remember, about 80% of calcifications turn out benign. Get as much info as you can and be sure to write your questions down for your next appointment. I hope you join the benign group.
Thanks for your support. The magnifications were done and I've been released on Left side back to 1 year. They want further film in 6 months on Right. I'll be good until I have those completed in June. I'll keep checking back. Thanks, NJtoCAgirl.
Hi! I have been reading the posts all day in hopes That it makes me feel better.  It has some thank you.  I went for my first mammogram last week and got called back for more pictures and then told I needed a biopsy due to calcifications on my right breast.  I had a cluster of calcifications 4 or 5.  They said they fell in a gray area that could not be determined to be cancer or not. I had the biopsy on Monday. It was very scary not so painful although I cried through the whole thing due to the realality of what could and may happen. Everybody around me tells me that it will be okay, but they don't know that. I know 80% sounds good and hope that is me, but I can't stop thinking somebody has to fall in the 20%.  I am supposed to be called tomarrow afternoon.  I will probably be a nervous wreck all day.  I mean I want to hear, but I scared to hear too.  I am afraid of my reaction.  and if it is positive will they answer any questions then?  I'm just scared any advice may be helpful.  Just knowing somebody understands helps.  Right now I look at my kids and just cry in fear of the out come.  Thanks Chris
I'm in the same place.  I have my biopsy scheduled for Friday morning and am trying so hard not to give into the fear of the unknown.  I have a few good hours and then my two year old sits on my lap to tell me the new words he's learned and I can't help but feel the fear deep inside.  I hope you hear good news tomorrow and please share it with us either way as we want to support or cheer you, whatever the need.
36 and Scared, I know what you are feeling.  I understand, and it is so hard waiting.  Sharebare, good luck with your biopsy.  Please let us know how it turns out.  I will be thinking of you both.
Thanks.  Knowing people out there understand the fear I am feeling makes me feel less alone.  I hope things go well with your biopsy. I did feel better when that part of it was over.  Do you (share bear) have calcifications too?  My husband just informed me he would be staying home from work to be with me when I receive the phone call, that makes me feel better. I will stay in touch. Thank again Chris
I am so glad that you have the wonderful support of your husband.  That makes this experience so much more manageable.  The waiting is the worst.  Just keep busy.  I just had my first biopsy 2 weeks ago.  I had to wait 3 days because of my surgeon has a death in the family.  It all turned out OK though.  Please know that for many of us these calcifications are just sometimes just changes in our body.  My friend jokes and says it's our bodies way of telling us we are getting older (I'm only 39).  But the doctor did say they were just fibroid changes.  Hoping your results are good too!!  I have to say though I still am in a good deal of pain.  Hoping I don't have an infection.  I feel a lump at the incision site.  I am going to see if I can get an appt tomorrow or the next day to have the surgeon look at it.
Thank you for your incouraging words.  I just put my oldest child on the bus and now I wait. I actually scared for the phone to ring.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  If I were you I would have the doctor look to see if you have an infection.  I have no pain although I do feel a lump where the tissue was removed.  Well I will sit and wait and hope for the best.  Thanks again for the kind words.  Chris
I recieved my call today, but not until 5:00.  I thought they were not going to call at all.  Much to my relief I was negative.  I can say this is a life changing experience for me.  I will apprieciate certain things more and enjoy things more. I plain not to sweat the small stuff. Thanks so much for helping me through the long wait which was truly terrible.  Sharebare I will be thinking of you tomarrow. Please let us know how it goes.  When I had my biopsy they would not allow anyone back there.  I do think it would have helped me.  The nurses were nice, but it made it all seem so real.  I will have you all in my prayers.  Chris
Yeah!!  We are on a roll.  So many good results.  Great news.  Thanks for your input about the pain I am still feeling.  Am going next week for a checkup.(Long overdue) Hopefully you will have a good night sleep tonight!!!
Congratulations ladies, GREAT news!!!
36 and scared - Great news! Thanks for sharing.

ShareBear - Keep us posted. I hope your results are benign, too.
Hello,  Thank you Vermont girl II, and Montana girl 06 for the encouraging words.  I have my stereotactic biopsy on 2/2.  Hopfully everything goes smoothly.  My husband is going in with me.  He's been great thru this.  For 34 yrs. he's been thru a lot with me.I also have a back injury from work and they found a tumor below my t8 and t9 herniated disk in august of 2006.  So I've been on workmans comp for six and a half years. And now we're going thru this. He just keeps telling me we'll get thru it.  I'll let you know how everything turns out.  I'll get the report back on 2/7. I'll except what ever god give me.  As everyone says he only gives us what we can handle.  Does anyone else fell they got someone elses share also?  You all are in my prays.  Karen
A related discussion, Developing density on my right breast was started.
A related discussion, Group of Microcalcifications-Benign was started.