Breast Cancer Expert Forum
micro calcifications on mamogram(mammogram)

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Could someone please tell women who have micro calcifications show up on their mamogram (mammogram) not to panic.  I had, in May 2002, a mamogram (mammogram) showing a group of the micro calcification white dots and a single dot off to one side. I had the area with the group excised and then went on with the recommended Radiation treatments.  Two months after my mamogram (mammogram), my sister had a mamogram (mammogram) and a group of micro calcifications showed up on her mamogram (mammogram).  She also had an excision and her micro calcification grouping was NOT cancer.

Neither my sister nor I had a lump, so the mamogram (mammogram) was the best thing we did for ourselves.

I always ask do see my mamogram (mammogram), especially after my cancer.  My last pictures showed single white dots on both sides.  I am not concerned because they have not as yet found their friends.  When they do, if ever, I will deal with them in the appropiate manner and go on with my life.

What I'm trying to get across is this.  Ladies, request to see your pictures even if the thought may not be a pleasant one.  If no group show up, you can relax and it there is a grouping, you can prepare yourself for the biopsy, NOT necesssarily the cancer!  REMEMBER worry and stress help nobody, least of all yourself.

My best wishes to all who are now or have been affected by breast cancer.  Those who have had a non-cancer result of the biopsy of a group of micro calcifications, continue with your yearly mamograms.
Dear cjco6261,  Thank you for your comments, they are posted as part of the Forum.
microcalcifications are extremely common in the breast. The vast majority turn out to be ok. When it's due to cancer (less than 10% of all microcalcifications) the wonderful news is that it tends to be at its earliest and most curable stage. It's the way mammograms are most able to detect very early breast cancer. Keep 'em coming!!
FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS, MY MAMOGRAMS HAVE SHOWED MICRO CALICIFICATIONS THAT APPEAR TO BE BENIGN,HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT
NOTHING ELSE MORE SERIOUS WILL COME OF THESE AND WHAT CAUSES
CALICIFICATIONS AND IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO PREVENT
THEM
many things cause calcifications: in general it's a response to irritation of tissues. Nothing can be done to prevent them. They are not harmful by themselves; it's a matter of what's causing them. Often they form in tiny cysts, in which case they are round; round ones can be seen nearly always to be ok from their apperarance alone. They can occur in blood vessels. They can result from injury; or from a fibroadenoma (benign tumor) as it shrinks with time. They can also be due to cancer; when they are, they tend to have a typical appearance, and biopsy is recommended when certain patterns are seen. Other patterns can be highly certain of being ok: when seen, it's typical just to follow along looking for changes. If you've had a pattern felt with confidence to be ok, and if they haven't changed for two years, the odds are extremely high they aren't anything bad.
Thanks for the optimism concerning calcifications.  My first mammo in March showed calcifications with a "probably benign finding" and I was asked to come back in 6 months (September) for a followup to see if there are changes.   Since September is approaching I am beginning to worry.    How can you not worry?  My gyn doesn't seem to be too concerned as he said calcifications are common on mammos.  Still, the worry creeps up on me from time to time.  I am sure it will get worse closer to September.   Any advice/suggesions/comments are appreciated.
A related discussion, microdot calcification was started.
A related discussion, Findings on mammograms was started.