Breast Cancer Expert Forum
microcalcifications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

microcalcifications

I have a few microcalcifications on my right breast. In two weeks I am having them removed by a procedure lying face down. Is this too ling to wait for the procedure. The physician says the worst scenario is the lesions are pre cancerous. I am having anxiety waiting for this procedure.
Dear chunkey:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue and these occur normally. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
Message from Libbey, I just had the stereotactic breast biopsy,
and it went extremely well and I was never in any discomfort
at any time.  My doctor just called me and said I DO NOT
have cancer.  I was so relieved, I broke down crying.
Benign microcalcifications.  Thank you all for all your
input and messages, they were a tremendous help to me.Libbey
Thank you for sharing your procedure. I am hoping for the same. Did you have to wait long for the procedure after the mammogram? How old are you if you do not mind? Chunkey
I'm 43 very fit , musculer and healthy...my sister 46 was diagnosted with DCIS a month ago..I promised to get a mammogram...I did and the results came yesterday...they want more x-rays...they say:    my breasts are mildly increased in density, which may limit the sensitivity of the examinamtion. Extensive number of microcalcifications are seen bilaterally,  which could be benign; however, centerally appear mildy crowed. I'm a very optomistic person, but I'm feelin a bit scared. my next appointment is on the 30th of November.....anyone have some add vise for me.
thanks,
mc fitz
Thank You so much for the information re microcalcifications. I am waiting for my appointment and will hope for the best. My microcalcifications were somewhat scattered and not very many.However there was an area that had what appeared to be more than two or three. I just hope this will be okay. Thank you again. I shall report back after the procedure.
    If they are precancerous or malignant, do you have to have chemo? I was told no they just excise the area more... Thank you again,I am quite nervous.. Chunkey
Hi, I too just had a repeat mammogram with enlargement to check on some calcifications.  The nurse let me look at the digital images and they seemed different shapes and clustered, so now I have to wait for the offical diagnosis.  I am just glad there is now more info on these little pests, I had some biopsied over 4 years ago and reading about them was futile.  hang in there everyone!  Best of luck.
Hi.  I'm 38 with no family history of breast cancer.  First mammogram in June showed microcalcifications; sent me back for a follow-up mammogram in October and there's an increase in the calcifications and they've clustered.  Having excisional biopsy this week; in what percentage of these situations is there  cancer?  I've been hearing anywhere from 20 to 50%.  What else could cause an increase in calcifications in a few months?
Dear Friends:
I have been at this site for the last two months while going through two Mammograms and a biopsy for microcalcifications.  Today I received the good news that all is well.  But until today, I had so many highs and lows, sleepness nights and depression. Although statics show that about 80% of biopsies are benign, it didn't seem that way when I read personal accounts on the Web.  Then, I thought, maybe the majority of people who post results are those whose tests did not come out good.  So, I decided if my test came out good, I would share this information for the sole purpose of giving more hope to those who had a similar experience as myself.  Yes, it really is possible for all to be well!  Hang in there.
I too just had an abnormal mammogram with 2 new microcalcifications that were 'highly suspicious for malignancy'. I am getting a steriotactic biopsy on the 28th. I am very scared. Reading this forum helps to hear what other women are going through. I'm trying to be positive because of my family, and not be too depressed thinking about it.  I am 47 with no history of breast cancer and extremely fit. I know I'm told that 80% come back as being nothing, but why would a radiologist say "highly suspicious" if he wasn't almost positive that there was something to be concerned about.  I guess I will just wait it out!
Hi Again,
   Well I had my biopsy and the diagnosis came back ca insitu which is I suppose pre cancerous. Anyways I am petrified inside and out. Please give advice re treatment etc... chunkey
Hi There, Yes I am positive. I question this benign report because I know of two people who have had positive results with microcalcifications. Mine is ca insitu please explain thank you so much Chunkey
I am from Australia where we have a breastscreen programm. I have just been picked up through this programm after mammogram and second recall as having large clusters of microcalcifications. I underwent sterotactic core biopsy three days ago and am now waiting for the pathology reports. I have almost decided to go ahead and have surgery hopefully only lumpectomy, even if my results are benign. From all the research I have done it seems that because of the large clusters these arears have a great risk of becoming malignent in time anyway. Would appreciate opinions.
I am 41 and discovered I had microcalcifications via a mammo on 12/6, I had a stereostatic biopsy (very easy and little discomfort) the following week.  I was diagnosed with DCIS, something I had NEVER heard of.  Precancer, all in the ducts so far.  I will go in for a lumpectomy on 1/6 and then decide on treatment, which appears to be radiation alone, or radiation along with Tamoxifen for 5 years.  I was completely freaked out and scared by the thought of all of this.  However, now after I have had some time to absorb it all I am thankful it was found early and that I have some options at least for now.  My calcifications were only a few and scattered in a small area.
The chances that the calcifications are something is small, and worst case hopefully if it is anything, it is stage 0 or precancerous like mine.
A related discussion, microcalcifications was started.
A related discussion, breast cancer symptoms was started.
A related discussion, mastectomy was started.
A related discussion, Microcalcifications - biopsy yesterday July 19 was started.