Breast Cancer Community
mirena and breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

mirena and breast cancer

i forgot to mention in my past posting that i have the mirena iud.  I didnt know that this had anything to do with the lump in my breast but after researching a bit i found several women who have had healthy breasts until they recieved the iud.  my first iud was placed in 2004 and i found a lump early in 2007.  that lump came and went and was painful to touch.  mammogram and ultrasound were negative.  i found another lump about 4 months ago.  this one does not hurt has not changed and i also have itchy patchy parts on my nipple.  could my mirena be giving me abnormal breast tissue and should i remove it.  i just had another one placed last month.  it worked great for the not having a baby thing and it even stopped my periods all together.  
From your previous posts it sounds as though you plan to continue seeking a dx in regard to your lump and itchy patches. If you do have further studies and  see a breast specialist, your question about Mirena would be a good one to address with him/her.
Please check with your breast specialist like Bluebutterfly suggested.I have added some information you might want to discuss with your doctor since Minera IUD does release hormones.  

Women who currently have or have had breast cancer, or have a suspicion of breast cancer, should not use HORMONAL contraception because breast cancer is a hormone-sensitive tumor.

Women, who do not wish to use a hormonal method of contraception, can choose a copper containing intrauterine device that is as effective as the one releasing hormones.If you are using the copper one then you don't have to worry about hormones being released in your body,but still discuss it with your doctor.Most of all continue to have this lump investigate until you know exactly what's going on.Best wishes.