Breast Cancer Community
more compassion from doctors staff

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

more compassion from doctors staff

I am a chemist and always read my medical reports, except for last year's mamography.  This year I read it and saw the words, "2-benign findings" and "course calcification in the left breast" and also, "breast parenchyma is slighlty dense."  This made me very nervous because I feel that due to our insurance companies not wanting to spend money, they wait for the cancer to show up and then tell you, rather than take action if something may not be right.  No one said anything about this report to me and I am puzzeled.  For one, What can "2-benign findings" be?  No one told me anything about this.  What is course calcification and is it a possible precursor to cancer?  I have read in the Harvard Women's Health letter that MRI shows cancer that cannot be seen in mammography.  It would be nice if our lives were more important than the cost of MRI to the insurance company.  Well, in my nervousness, I called my doctor's office and asked them to send me a copy of last years report.  I explained that I could think of nothing else since I read this report and I was very nervous and wanted to compare it to the previous year.  They said they would send it.  I waited and waited and finally called back and was told they never got a copy from the imaging center.  It would have been nice, knowing how nervous I was and that I have been seeing this doctor for about 20 years, if someone could have contacted me  to tell me they didn't have the report.  Then when I did call back, the staff member who I spoke with was curt with me.  I understand she was busy but when you are in the health field and people are not well, or are worried, there should be some compassion.  People should not work in the medical field if they are going to be insensitive to the patients who may be very distressed.

This discussion is related to asymetric density breast tissue and ultrasound.
1 Comment

I understand the emotional state you must be going through at this moment. You are right that people in the medical profession should have a more humane and sensitive approach.

But, hopefully this is the case other than a few exceptions. You need to relax and see a breast specialist about the symptoms you are having and about your reports.

Calcifications are tiny deposits of calcim in the breast tissue and are classified as microcalcifications and macrocalcifications.

A biopsy is usually required before malignancy can be ruled out and for a confirmed diagnosis.

It is not essential to get an MRI done for the diagnosis or further management.

Let us know about any doubts that you have and also post us on how you are doing.

Regards.