ms
after a digital magnification spot.the resolts are;
compression and magnification spot views two suspicious clusters of phlemorphic microcalcifications in the supero lateral and inferior quadrsnt of breast.   what is that?
Microcalcifications are normal developments in breast tissue.Pleomorphic means that the calcifications don't look uniform.When microcalcifications appear clustered, there is some concern that they are developing around an area of abnormality.You don't say what your radiologist has recommended or what is the BIRADS score assigned on your report.
BIRADS ( Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System) is a quality control system,used by radiologists after interpreting mammograms,ultrasound and MRIs.
This system allows radiologist to categorize the findings by numbers.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the number the more suspicious is the abnormality.It's important for you to know what is your score,so you can figure out if these calcifications have to be closely monitored or need to be biopsied.
Usually when clustered calcifications are suspicious a biopsy is recommended so that the tissue extracted can be analyzed by a pathologist for an accurate diagnosis.
Although some calcifications can look suspicious on film,many turn out to be benign in nature when biopsied.
All the best and good luck...
my birads categoty Iv .they recommended a needle biopsy.do i have do move fast. my next apointment is in may?

clara
Hi Clara,
BIRADS category 4 ( IV ) means that the calcification is suspicious
and a biopsy is recommended to check the area.
I don't think that waiting till May will change anything on the final outcome,but you could always call the institution to reschedule your appointment sooner, if there is a cancellation.
Try not to worry too much...As I said before ,very often biopsies done on clustered calcifications return a benign finding, but if unfortunately it does not,then the cancer would be at a very early stage and highly curable.
Hoping that your biopsy results will be favorable.
Take care and again I wish you the best of luck!