Breast Cancer Expert Forum
my 15 year old daughter

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

my 15 year old daughter

My 15 year old daughter had an ultrasound yesterday on her breast. She has a 4.8 cm cyst that is solid with some cystic changes around it. They suspect a fibroadenoma, but they want to do a needle biopsy for sure.

I hate to put her thru this...my question is has anyone ever had any experience with these and how young is too young to get breast cancer.

I don't think this will be serious, but I am a bit concerned because my sister died from metastatic breast cancer in 1992.

This poor child also has to undergo a hymenectomy in a few weeks...

Thank You
Atticus222
Dear Atticus222, Although breast cancer is extremely rare in such a young person it can occur.  Likely the biopsy is an attempt to err on the side of caution.
A round smooth lump in a 15 year-old is almost certainly a fibroadenoma. What to do to confirm it depends on how worried people are; it's quite safe in most circumstances just to keep an eye on it with rechecks over time, without doing any sort of biopsy. But if there's enough concern, then a needle sample is pretty simple. I assume it's a feelable lump; in which case, depending on the resources available for analysis, the easiest is to use a fine needle, in the office, takes about 10 seconds. Some young ladies, for various reasons, want fibroadenomas completely removed, which is ok, too, but not usually required other than for peace of mind. P.S. just for the record: "cyst" means fluid, not solid. Cysts are nearly unheard of at her age. So calling it a cyst that's solid is not exactly correct.
Well, maybe they didn't call it a cyst then. They pointed to an area that they said was, "full of debree?" But it was surrounded by a cystic area that was fluid filled. I think that they want a sample of both areas. Have you ever seen anything like that?
Atticus222
A related discussion, fibrodemona was started.