Breast Cancer Expert Forum
nipple and areola color

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

nipple and areola color

I am 45 years old and have never paid much attention to my nipples, but I recently noticed that my nipple and surrounding area is a different color from my other breast.  One is pink and the other is a few shades darker, more brown. I don't know if they've always been this way, and that is normal, or if I should be concerned.  Thanks
Dear Maggie00, It is not unusual for there to be differences in color of the nipple/ aerola, or even size of the breasts.  If you are noticing a change or have further concerns you may want to have your doctor evaluate.  

Hi Maggie, if you look a few posts below, I posted to another person about this very sam ething. I have VITILIGO of both areolas.  They are different colors throughout, pink/white and brown.  It's a disorder of the pigment cells of the skin.  It's nothing to worry about and happens to a few people, certainly we are the minority. I wish I had a picture to show you. But if you search VITILIGO on the YAHOO a lot will come up and what it is.  I don't have it anywhere else on my body unless my dermatologist shines a certain light on my skin, then you can see some spots.  But the only apparent areas are on my nips/areolas. My husband loves me just this way, so I don't worry about it myself.  I'm 37 years old and have had this ever since I can recall (probably in my early teens I remember), but not all of my life.  If you have any other qeustions, feel free to post.