Breast Cancer Community
nipple discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

nipple discharge

hello,
Im only 18 years old, and i've noticed for a while now that my left breast seems to be having flaky dry skin in the nipple and both breasts are tender and have a few lumps..I know the tenderness and lumps are benign and have to do with my body changing but I just want to clear our any concern?
First of all you shouldn't worry about breast cancer at your age.
Breast lumpiness is not the same as having a dominant lump.Lumpiness can be normal breast tissue and the vast majority of breast lumps in teenagers are benign and tend to disappear over time.
Pain,nipple dryness and nipple discharge could be due to hormonal changes that play a big role in your body at your age.Actually, amongst teen girls, the most widespread type of breast lumps are typically connected to normal breast development and growth.
Try not to squeeze your nipples to check if the discharge still occurs,because the more you do that, the more the discharge will continue.
If your nipples are dried,just use plain water on your nipple when showering.Soap tends to dry the skin.After bathing,apply a little lanolin ointment (with no alcohol) and see if it helps.
I would like to suggest to you, that it's important, even as young as you are, to be aware of the need for breast self-examination,so that any problems can be detected.
Lumpiness in the breasts may make actual lumps harder to distinguish.That's why it is important that young women with lumpy breasts perform regular breast self-examinations(One week after the start of menstruation) and see their doctor for regular physical examinations.
Knowing the normal shape and feel of your own breasts is important, especially when performing BSE (Breast Self Examinations) to detect any unusual changes.
I have added a site below that shows you how to do your SBE (Self breast exam) and I hope you'll find it useful.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/bse.html

If you have never had a breast examination done by a physician,I would advise you to do so, to make sure that your breast are healthy and also to be better informed about all the changes your body goes through at your age.
I wish you well and take care....

I wish you well and take care....
Thank you so much for your detailed response I am so relieved I can't even explain! :) May God Bless you! And thanks for the website!