Breast Cancer Expert Forum
nipple pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

nipple pain

I have had a sharp stabbing pain in my left nipple for a couple of months. I went to the DR.and she said that she thought it was mastitis. This was about 2 months ago.
It comes and goes. It was at its worse last night, waking me up. And lasting off and on through the night. I think I feel a oblong lump at the left base of my breast, but not sure if it is or not. I feel a tiny lump under my left arm more so to the left, which is very tender. I am 45, and a smoker. I am calling in the morning for a mammogram.
Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Loretta
Dear Loretta, Breast pain is a common symptom and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  It is difficult to say what you are feeling as this oblong lump, it could be that you are feeling a rib.  It could be that the tiny lump under your arm is a lymph node, of course it is impossible to say for sure over the internet.  It is concerning you and your symptoms are persisting and changing, it makes sense to have this checked out.
that kind of pain is not likely due to cancer. It could be due to fibrocystic change: in which case, eliminating caffeine and caffeine-like products, and taking vitamin E might help. However, any new symptom in the breast needs evaluation and followup. Getting a mammogram is a good first step.
I am 20 years old, last May I discovered a lump in my right breast. I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound on it, instead of a mamogram (mammogram) because of my age. Well, it turned out to just be tissue that formed into a ball instead of spreading out through my breast. I was pregnant when I found it, so they said that was why it was so big, and they wont put me on birth control without a medical clearance because of it, talk about being giving the run-around. Well, it has since become very painful, I have always had tender breasts, but it has gotten worse. Just recently I have been experiencing a shooting pain through the nipple of my right breast, it only last for about a second, but that kind of stuff scares me. I know that I have a small chance of getting breast cancer since I am only 20, but what else is there for me to think about when I find a lump in one breast and pain in the other. Do you have any opinions what I should do about this.

Thank You,
Lin