Breast Cancer Expert Forum
nipple pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

nipple pain

I was wondering if nipple pain is a cause of concern? It is on the rt breast and is painful to touch. Nipple is red with some swelling. Also, I have some swelling in breast just below nipple and side. Went to my GP and she prescribed antibiotic and did a CBE (no lumps felt). She feels it's just an infection. I have no family hx of BC, I'm 35 years old, my first child was born at 29 years old, and my first period was at 12 years old. The pain feels like I've been pinched. All of this has occurred in the past three days (Tues, Wed., Thur.) went to GP on Fri(6/22). I was on my period this week. Never experienced anything like this before - could this be the beginning of hormonal changes?
Dear aj610,  It is difficult to assess what your problem might be without the benefit of examination. An infection  should resolve with the antibiotics.  If this is not improving or  is  worsening be sure to let your doctor know so they can reevaluate.

Sorry you have had no response yet. You might try posting on the British breast cancer site:
www.breastcancercare.org.uk
Under "Discussion Forums", the first one is "Have I got breast cancer?" and is the most likely forum for someone with a similar experience to you to answer your question. The ladies are very knowledgeable.
Hope everything turns out fine.
Liz.
Thanks for the replies. The antibiotics are working. However, I have now develped feelings of let down and mild pain that comes and goes in both breasts  It's been quite a long time since I breastfed (kids are 5 and 2). I'm wondering now if I'm not going through hormonal changes at 35. Anyways, the swelling I have on my nipple looks to me as a headless pimple that was very sore to the touch (it hurt to wear a bra)  but the pain has subsided greatly. This has definately given me a wake up call to be more vigilint(sp). This disease definatley does not discriminate.