Breast Cancer Expert Forum
nodular density

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

nodular density

Recent sceening mammogram stated a nodular density is identified posteriorly in left breast.  Went back for spot compression of left breast and received the following report from the radiologist:  Upon spot compression, the area in question becomes less defined.  Since it was only seen on one view, this was probably a benign entity, most compatible with superimposed glandular tissie. However, since it did appear to be new as compared to the last sceening mamogram (mammogram), a six month follow up left mammogram would not be unreasonal. Birad 3.  I am 45 with no family history.  What exactly does this mean? The word "probably" makes me nervous.  If it is not something to worry about, why do I need to go back in 6 mos?

Dear Laura45:  Sometimes, when a mammogram is done a density appears. Upon spot compression, which focused on the area of concern, the density disappears or looks less concerning.  This is commonly a result of tissue being "folded over" on itself that resolved with the additional compression.  The definition of BIRAD 3 is that there is a probably benign finding, biopsy is not recommended and 6 month followup is recommended - There is less than 2% chance that this is cancer.  The rationale for returning in 6 months is to be certain that there is nothing new growing.  It is a precautionary measure.  

10/25/06 I went in to have my Mammogram done. 10/31/06 I received a letter from the Department of Radiology stating that on the right side of my breast there is evidence of a small somewhat stellate nodular density but more testing needs to be done.  

IMPRESSION

(1) Questionable stellate nodular density is seen in the right breast. Additional views including compressed and mediolateral and 90 degree are advised for further evaluation.

Additional imaging studies are needed to complete evaluation, such as ultrasound or additional mammographic views.

I'm 38 years old and I'm worried that I might have cancer it doesn't run in the family. My doctor isn't telling me anything and he's not a supportive nor understanding doctor he just writes prescriptions so that I can have it done ( Ultrasound and another Mammogram ). He doesn't explain anything, so my question is: Is stellate nodular density cancer? Am I in risk?
Can ultrasound detect early cancer?

I know what you mean about your doctor.  Mine was the same way (didn't answer my calls and didn't tell me anything...just ordered the test) so I took my radiologist reports to another doctor.  He did another breast exam to make sure nothing could be felt and agreed with the radiologist report to return in 6 mos. for follow up.  It is scary when you are told there is "a finding" on your screening mamo.  You have to put things in perstpective though.  Most "findings" are not cancer.