Breast Cancer Expert Forum
nodule found on mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

nodule found on mammogram

I have had fibroglandular density (just read old mammo).  This last mammogram I was called back the next day with that not to worry they had found a nodule, not metastasis, but wanted a redo and maybe an ultrasound.  It was not marked stat or hurry and have to wait almost 3 weeks.  My question can they determine by the mammo if the nodule is suspicious enough to warrant quickly or wait the 3 weeks.  I called my dr. and after reading report was ok with the wait.  This is very hard to do.  I have not felt a lump and this came as a surprise.  I have lost a lot of weight recently by dieting and my breasts are just saggy with not to much there anymore...
Tags: nodules
Dear tulip136, It is not unusual for a person to be asked to return for a more precise mammogram after a screening mammogram if there are any areas that may be of concern.  When this happens, the radiologist will typically call the woman to come back for further evaluation such as a spot compression where a more specific view of the abnormality can be obtained.  In many cases, the density could be as simple as some tissue that has folded over on itself and will resolve with compression.  However, the spot compression will take a closer look and help to determine if there is an abnormality and whether any additional evaluation is necessary.

It is difficult to comment on the timing of coming back for the followup mammogram as it most likely has to do with the facilities ability to get you in.   You may want to check if there is a cancellation if you can be seen sooner for your peace of mind.