Breast Cancer Community
nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

nodule

I had a mammo and ultrasound done and was told that I have a nodule 4x3mm in my left breast. I have started having pain in my breast for 2 months now is that normal when you have nodules in your breast? Should I ask to have it biopsyed or removed? Is this something that I should be concerned about becoming cancerous?

Hi there.

Breast nodules can have different characteristics and appearance on routine tests such as the mammogram, that will give us the idea if the nodule is benign or would need further tests.  There is a standardized reporting for mammogram which is called the BIRADS categories (for more info: http://biradsclass.blogspot.com) which would tell the clinician regarding the possible nature of the nodule, and therefore direct or guide future management (such as if a biopsy may be required).  

If the reading is most probably benign, then following up the lesion with serial mammograms may be best, as well as examining your breasts regularly for any definite changes.

Ask your radiologist about the BIRADS classification of your mammogram.  Regards.
The Birads on the report was birad3, what does that mean? Is it common to have pain and sensitivity in the breast when you have a nodule? Could a nodule eventually become cancerous? I'm really worried because I am a mother of four and unsure of what to do at this time.
               Please give me any information that will help me better understand Thak You
Hi!
  A BIRADS score of 3 indicates a high probability of being benign (>98%) and that serial mammography followup at regular intervals is the only plan needed at this time.

It is very important that you do self breat exams regularly every month to familiarize yourself with how your breasts feel and to be able to determine if any changes occur which may need to be brought to your doctor's attention. A biopsy at this time would probably not be necessary and only indicated if further changes are noted on followup mammograms/ultrasounds.
As for the pain, it is not usual to experience pain with the type of nodule you are describing, but anxiety and uncertainty regarding a topic as frightening as breast cancer can tend to alter our senses and feel pain more acutely.  If the pain persists, seek additional medical evaluation and proceed from there.  The BIRADS score should prove reassuring and I hope that continued evaluation eases your concerns.
Take care ---  
Thank You for helping me to understand what birads mean. I do go back to the surgeon on the 19 for a follow up, I've already done my second U.S. so hopefuly nothing has changed. I guess I'm a bit of a worry wort! I don't know if its just me or all women that tend to think about the what ifs? And how can they be so sure its not cancerous if there hasn't been a biopsy done. Anyhow thanks so much any bit of info helps a great deal.