Breast Cancer Community
nodules in axilla

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

nodules in axilla

I have had a diagnostic mammogram and left axilla ultrasound on April of 2008 and a follow up of left breast and left axilla on 11/2008.

The second ultrasound showed an abnormality and they recommend a 3 month follow-up ultrasound.

The first time I had the ultrasound I didn't think they checked the axilla high enough and this time they did and found the abnormality.

I have felt a small lump at my axilla for maybe a year and I never felt one in my breast and I do the breast exam monthly.  My doctor felt the area at my yearly exam and she agreed that I should have it checked out and here I am having my third test done.  Everyone keeps telling me that it is a nodule and since my mom has the same thing not to worry at this time and wait for the next ultrasound.

Do I talk to a Specialist regarding my axilla and breast or do I wait till the next ultrasound?

This discussion is related to update on ultrasound of axilla lump.
1 Comment
The 3 month recommended follow-up seems adequate as they are usually interested in any change that might occur. As far as not worrying because it's a nodule .... I don't quite get that one. Anything that is new or seems abnormal should always be checked out and that's what you are doing. Am I understanding correctly that the nodule is in the axillary area but not in the breast ?? If you are really uncomfortable with the 3 month wait you might ask that your films be read by another Radiologist OR have your films reviewed by a Breast Specialist and get a 2nd opinion from him/her.   Regards ..