Breast Cancer Community
non-surgical options?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

non-surgical options?

I have DCIS with stage 3 cells.  My surgeon has recommended a lumpectomy with radiation.  If radiation is used to kill any remaining cancer cells, why can't I just use radiation to kill all cancer cells and not have the lumpectomy.  Aren't there any non-surgical options for DCIS?
To the best of my knowledge, only chemotherapy is used for existing cancer cells, and radiation is used as a preventative measure to sanitize any potential cells that *might* be left after a lumpectomy. It sounds like your surgeon is offering the standard that all the experts agree on to insure that you become and remain cancer free.

I wish you the best.
I believe you previously posted a thought of having nothing done to treat your cancer. Please have the recommended surgery and follow-up treatment. A lumpectomy is not a big deal; outpatient procedure with rapid recovery time. Cancer cannot and should not be ignored .... yours is such an early finding with a fairly simple solution. The lumpectomy followed by radiation is the accepted treatment for a case such as you describe ... you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones when it comes to diagnosis and treatment. Regards ......