non-surgical options?
I have DCIS with stage 3 cells.  My surgeon has recommended a lumpectomy with radiation.  If radiation is used to kill any remaining cancer cells, why can't I just use radiation to kill all cancer cells and not have the lumpectomy.  Aren't there any non-surgical options for DCIS?
To the best of my knowledge, only chemotherapy is used for existing cancer cells, and radiation is used as a preventative measure to sanitize any potential cells that *might* be left after a lumpectomy. It sounds like your surgeon is offering the standard that all the experts agree on to insure that you become and remain cancer free.

I wish you the best.
I believe you previously posted a thought of having nothing done to treat your cancer. Please have the recommended surgery and follow-up treatment. A lumpectomy is not a big deal; outpatient procedure with rapid recovery time. Cancer cannot and should not be ignored .... yours is such an early finding with a fairly simple solution. The lumpectomy followed by radiation is the accepted treatment for a case such as you describe ... you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones when it comes to diagnosis and treatment. Regards ......