Breast Cancer Community
not sure about surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

not sure about surgery

I am to undergo reconstruction due to a Mastectomy on my left breast.  I am having an expander put in which apparently gets filled over a period of a couple of weeks-then implants a few weeks later. When the implant surgery is done-they will also put an implant in my natural breast to even it all up. My question is, if you've been through this. A: was it painful? and B: is the end result worth it-are the breasts even and aesthetically pleasing? I care more about whether they are going to look alright and even-simply because my surgeon did a fabulous job of the mastectomy, and my scar is minimal, I have been living with this, not exactly liking it, but being satisfied that it is not too grotesque. I am terrified after surgery my breasts will be ugly and uneven?