Breast Cancer Community
open sore on breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

open sore on breast

Hi I'm so upset! My sister in law has a open sore on her breast. She told me it was not even hurting. Its near in her  nipple. And it has a purulentfluid. She had been to Health Clinic and they make a bloodtest untill now we have no result. I'mafraid its a cancer. The staff told her to visit another clinic for xray. Can someone explain me if this is cancer
or just an infections? I know she has to cunsult a specialist but the problem is they can't afford. I'm afraid if this is cancer. I hope its not. Thanky ou!! And God bless!!
Hi.

It is very hard to tell at this point if this is just infection or cancer, or a combination of both.  The fact that this is painless makes it all the more worrying, as classic bacterial infection would normally present with swelling, inflammation and pain.  However, there are infections that can present this way such as that of atypical bacteria such as mycobacterium.

Your concern of this being cancer is indeed valid, but we cannot be really sure until further tests be done such as a biopsy of the sore.  Another possibility is that of Paget's disease of the breast.  I doubt if the blood tests would settle the nature of this sore.

I would suggest that he have this examined by a breast surgeon and have a biopsy done as soon as possible.  

Regards and God bless.
I have one also, mine does not hurt and I don't know what to do.  Mine started, I thought, because of a poke from an underwire, mine is lower.  I don't think it is infected but it worries me.  For now all I have been doing is covering it with a band-aid.  I need some advice.
I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2005 and DIEP flap reconstruction in 2006.  This morning I noticed an open type sore under one of my mast. scars.  It seemed infected and rather deep. This is my left side which did not have cancer.  I do not have feeling, so I can't tell if it painful..it looks like it would be. It is a bit red (rashy) around the area.  Do not know where this would come from..it is too high for underwire to rub.  Suggestions?
thanks
Hi! my sister in law had a biopsy but the result is on Nov.17. I suggest to make a mammography or Biopsy as long as possible. Please consult a Breast Surgeon which Dr.Paul MD suggest . Good luck and God bless!!! eva233
I am 25 and I just found an open sore on my right breast. I also thought it was from an underwire poke or something but upon further inspection it is too high. I too have no pain. I Called the Dr. and they told me to come right in. I have a mammogram and an ultrasound Next Thursday.