pain after bilateral mastectomies
i just underwent a bilateral subcut. mastectomy with reconstrction. 2 days later a was dx. with ER breast cancer. I will be having the lymph nodes biopsied next week. My question is that my surgery was almost 3 weeks ago, but i have a terrible pain from both my shoulder blades to my waist, extremely tender to touch. My Dr. says that many  nerves and vessels were severed during the operation and my breast were quite large. Since the nerves were severed, how long will this pain continue? It responds well to Lortabs and benzodiazepines, however, i dont want to have to be on them the rest of my life. Suggestions??Answers??  Thank you.
The pain will lessen over time but it's really hard to say how long this will take. Those nerves really object to being cut and disturbed and they let you know it. The area will also be tender for a considerable length of time. I wish I could tell you that it will go away very soon but that wouldn't be the truth. Were you advised of any exercises that you might do ... very gentle stretching type exercises ? You should certainly consult your Surgeon about this since you had reconstruction. Healing can take months but I would think the pain you describe would be gone sooner than that.  Regards .....