Breast Cancer Community
pain after lumpectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

pain after lumpectomy

I am 52, almost menopausal, had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago to remove a lump which the surgeon told me was an inch and a half long, with wire localization prior to the surgery.  Thank goodness the lump was benign.  I felt great for the first week after surgery, no pain, then suddenly 8 days out, I am having pain in that breast.  I am healing great, no infection, not even any real bruising.

I saw the surgeon a few days ago, told him I was still having pain, he said advil or tylenol and a heating pad.  None of these actually help that much.  I think this lump was fairly deep in my breast.  The pain is somewhat hard to describe, but it is achy, tender and sore.  My question is, what else can I do and how long does this usually last?  I do have high blood pressure, but other than that, I am in excellent health.   It is getting old, any help you can give is most appreciated.  
Once the lumpectomy site of your breast "wakes up" after the shock of surgery,it recovers some of it's senses and you can experience discomfort.The pain can last for some time. Over the counter medication can help with the pain or your doctor can prescribe a stronger pain killer.As the nerves regrow and heal,the breast is very sensitive to the touch and quite painful.Wearing a good supportive bra can also help.Also exercise can help if your surgeon has advised you to do so.I remember when I had my lumpectomy,I also had pain but with time it subsided considerably.Best wishes.
I had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago & my experience has been to same as yours
it almost can be described as stabbing pains.

Mine was also very deep. I think Zouzi really gave some good advice.
Really glad yours was B-9 so was mine.

Thank you both so much for your helpful advice.  I actually feel alot better now, I hope you do too.  I am in no means completely healed but it is much more livable.  It felt like there was sandpaper in my bra!!  I know how wierd that is!! but that's what it feels like!  Anyway, it is getting better.  I just wish my surgeon would have told me what to expect!?!  I figured (wrongly) that it would be a lot like having a biopsy.  I am going to try the scar strips also, because today the scar feels tight, so hopefully that will help.  I'm staying in a sports bra pretty much all the time, at night too, I think that helps keep things from jiggling around and furthering healing.  Also, the only OTC thing that seemed to help me is Tylenol.  Advil and Aleve did nothing.  So, hope this can help others down the road who must also travel this path.  
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am glad that the pain you have is controlled better with Tylenol.The sports bras works wonders huh? I wore it too all the time,even when sleeping.I am sure that everyday that passes you'll feel much better.Good luck on your recovery and take care.
Thank you all for your advice, I feel a lot better. And I will take everyones advice.