Breast Cancer Community
pain and walking after breast reconstruction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

hi again
does anyone had a failure of breast reconstruction with fatty tissue from stomack ( microsurgery) and how much does it really hurt? how long did it take to be able to walk again? not feel excausted? go back to work. they tell me that I can go back to work ( office work) in 6 weeks. Anybody had experience in that? walking is my main concern! besides finding out it spread!
Thank you again. this forum is VERY helpful and the most helpful site I have found.

This discussion is related to repeat of radiation probable?.
My mom had a failed tram and didn't work for nearly 13 weeks.  She had 3 surgeries in the mean time and about 4 more after that to fix her problems and try to reconstruct her breast.

All I can tell you is it's gonna hurt.  It won't hurt any less or any more if you work at getting straight in standing up.  You are going to have to force yourself a little each day to get there, but you will get there.  Sleep with pillows to make a slant and keep your affected arm (breast side) elevated.  Every so often try to lay a little flatter.  It took me nearly 3 months to lay totally flat.  Don't forget to support your legs with a pillow under your knees.

Try to walk a little further each day.  Keep doing your breathing exercises.  Use a pillow to help hold in those stomach muscles and give them support.  Do more and more each day (even if it's just another 2 steps...that's progress).

You'll get there, but it's a hard road ahead.

How badly did your reconstuction fail?  What does the doc want to do next?  Where are you in this process (chemo and radiation???).

I wish you speed in healing and strength to get there.
Lisa
thank you very much. My surgery is only taking place in one week. ( april 7) i am just concerned for the moment. How old was your mother?. I am 58. 2 steps each day sounds awful! I will keep your advise in mind. THANK YOU VERY MUCH and have a great weekend. good luck to your mother
Annette

It would be ebst to get a review with your surgeon. It's been only a wek since your surgery and you should report any abnormal symptoms to your doctor at the earliest.

Discuss with him/her whether pain relief medications or physical therapy would help in your case and how early should you begin mobilisation.

Let him/her refer you to a physical therapist if required.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.

Mom was in her 50s when she had her surgery.  She was in fairly good health and walked a lot.  She had a clotting issue that was unbeknownst to the surgeons, so her tram just clotted off and then necrosed.  They tried a couple of times to rescue the tram, but it just didn't cooperate.  She ended up having a lot of necrosis in the stomach area also that had to be patched with donor skin from her thigh.  That was quite some time ago (late 1990s).  She was out for 13 weeks the first time and a year or more later another 10 weeks to put in the implant.  She is a nurse and the surgery had work related issues.  If you have a desk job, then you won't be quite as restricted as she was.

I had a tram that was a success last year and I'm in my late 30s.  I was back on my feet within 6 weeks, but it was a beautiful surgery with no complications whatsoever.  I was released to return to most of my activities around then and could do EVERYTHING at the 3 month mark.  Some of the stomach involved activities you will have to wait until your muscles build back up and that may take some time.

Just don't sit there.  You need to get up and move, even 2 steps.  It's hard, but you need to move some, otherwise you are going to atrophy and you don't want that.  

I don't know of ANY of the local docs around here that send people to physical therapy after reconstruction.  They don't consider ripping your stomach in two worthy of therapy.   It's all up to the patient to do for themselves.  And it is possible, but you are going to have to push yourself some.
this is very helpful and in some way recomforting. ALtough I am not 30 anymore I think I am pretty strong and do have a desk job. THank you for your time and be well