Breast Cancer Expert Forum
pain in armpit and top right side of breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Having pain in right side arm pit.The pain is not so bad that i need to take anything just bugging me.This just started just a few days ago I have never had anything like it before. No breast cancer in family.
Dear patty49:  Pain is not a typical symptom of breast cancer.  If the pain does not go away, you should see your internist for evaluation.
Can anyone who had armit pain describe a pain a bit more. I started having pain couple of days before. I have checked my left breast carefully and did not notice anything strange. No lumps, no discharge. Just pain in armit and upper arm and kinda outside pain. I just got really scared. i have since read few commnet on it and it says that the sign of breast cancer is not pain but still. Please get back to me on this.
thank you
Ija - I had shooting pains in my right breast, upper arm down to my elbow. They would come on even when I was sitting still in the car. Seemed trivial to go to the doctor, so I tried to ignore it. A 3 yrly mammo in Nov 2002 showed a "mass" and I was recalled to a specialist breast care centre, where a compression mammo was done, ultrasound, then core biopsy - all within an hour! I knew then when they showed me the mass on the x-rays and screen that I had a tumour. It was a 2 cm invasive ductal cancer, with intermediate grade nuclear DCIS. I had a lumpectomy, sample node removal, 2 out of 8 with cancer, and went back for more surgery a month later - total axillary dissection. One more node positive, so I had the whole shebang - 5 months of chemo, 5 and a half weeks of radiotherapy, and now on Arimidex. I would get your breast checked out. I had no palpable lump whatsoever, neither I nor my GP could feel a lump before I was recalled. I did have pain for a long time beforehand - perhaps 18 months, but we only get a 3 yrly mammo in the UK and I knew zilch about breast cancer. It never occurred to me that the pain was from a tumour. Go get it checked - soon! even if only to put your mind at rest.
Liz.