Breast Cancer Expert Forum
pain in both nippples

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

pain in both nippples

i had gone threw breast cancer treatment i.e.lumpectomy,chemotherapy[4ac+ 4 toxtere] and radiation 1 1/2 year back.due to chemo i got chemopause at the age of 42 years.now iam 44 .till now i didnot get my periods. iam triple negative and not in hormone theraphy.
my oncologyst adviced that i may/ may not get periods.my mother and grand mother got their menopause at 50 yrs.
from few days i am experiencing pain in BOTH NIPPLES.some times i feel tenderness also.i am getting some pimples over my face ocassionally.are these symptoms of getting menstuction back or any thing else?iam totally confused and frightened .please advice me.
regards
shanthi
Dear shanthi:  Without evaluation, it is impossible to know what may going on to cause painful nipples and facial skin breakouts.  In most cases, these would not be signs of breast cancer.  You may want to let your doctor know so that he can evaluate you formally and possibly test your hormones could be tested to find out "where you are - menopause wise."
The only way to know if you are truly in menopause is by having your hormones tested. Chemo does stop the menstrual cycle but that can be temporary, especially gven your age. Triple negative cancers tend to be quite aggressive and I think for sure you should schedule an appointment with your oncologist to get peace of mind. Don't freak out, your body is just changing again. I suggest you see your doctor to make SURE it's nothing worrisome. And get your blood test done to see where your hormones are to determine your menopausal status.

Best wishes.
Thank God! i got back my periods today after 2 years.they stopped after my second chemo.even my oncologist was not sure at the age of 44.but they came back.really i faced lot of problems because of this chemopause.that horrible hot flashes,that extra pounds i gained,risk of heart etc.so i can post pone this for some more years.and i can cut that extra calcium intake also!from 1 month onwards my nipples are paining and constantly erecting.i posted a question regarding this .now i understood the cause as it is due to pre menstruction !am i correct ?please any one can advise?