Breast Cancer Community
pain in right arm natural?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

pain in right arm natural?

At 40 yrs. I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I had a radical right mast. Dec. 15, 2004.  My cancer in the breast was microscopic and throughout the breast, also had lymph nodes they took out 31 and had cancer in 30nodes.  I received AC chemo then Taxotere, radiation and received Herceptin for 1yr.  
This past Sept 2008, I was finally ready for reconstruction.  The surgeon took the Latt. muscle from my back to help with reconstruction and put in a expander.  To make a long story short I've had to get another surgeon and am waiting on insurance again.  My problem is now being in a "hold" position with no more fills in the expander I am experiencing a lot of pain in my right arm.  Basically from the shoulder down to my fingers, making it hard to write or type some days more than others.  Any suggestions?  I'm debating on calling the "new" surgeon although I've already met with him once to decide our next step.
It's almost impossible to tell over the internet .... but have you considered the possibility of Lymphedema ??? Also the initial procedure for upcoming reconstruction may be responsible for your arm pain. Have you seen anyone specifically about the arm problem ?? It might be worth a consult but you state that you have seen the "new" Surgeon I would give him a call before doing anything else. If it would happen to be related to Lymphedema it would need treatment as soon as possible for the best results.     Regards ...
I have considered Lymphedema, I just don't want it to be that.  So I think I will contact the surgeon today.  I have a friend w/Lymphedema she has to wear the arm sleeve.  I have been so careful these past 4 + years to not get it.  When I raised my concerns on Lymphedema to the first surgeon for reconstruction, she said if I were to get it--it would show up the next morning after surgery.  Although I know it can happen at anytime.
Thanks for responding.
Well I'm sorry to disagree with that Surgeon about LE showing up the next day. LE can present itself years after surgery. It is something that a Surgeon cannot treat though.... it's also something that the sooner treated the more successful the treatment. I would suggest seeing a Physical Therapist who is trained in the treatment of LE .... at least for an evaluation. The sooner the better and not everyone experiences the same degree of involvement. I can tell you this from personal experience and I didn't want it either .... I had one Physician that was in denial that it even existed these days ..... I knew better of course and sought treatment immediately with excellent results. I've actually had some hand surgery on the affected side with no problem.    Take care ....