Breast Cancer Community
pain underarm and breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

pain underarm and breast

I am 40 yrs old, I've had painfor almost a year underneath my left arm and left side of my left breast. I've not found any lumps and I have also had a mammogram which was negatvie. Any ideas on what could be the cause of the pain?  

I had that. I had the pain under my left arm pit for 3 years, ultra sound showed only normal lymph nodes and nothing showed up on mammograms. In November I had my first abnormal mammogram but it had nothing to do with the pain in the arm pit. I asked the surgeon about it and she told me it was probably excess breast tissue, which is common. I do know when I use to ovulate, (since I have been post-menopausal for 7 years that seems like a long long time ago), and my breast would get tender it did hurt up under the arm pits. Just a thought.   LmT3

The pain that you feel is most probably an axillary lymph node infection, or muscle pull.

Is there any history of trauma? You need not panic as the chances of this being breast cancer are minimal.

Use some warm compresses and do not shave, wax or use a deodorant for a few days - the lump should resolve on  its own. Try some pain relief medications and see if it helps.

If it still persists, you would need to see your doctor for a clinical evaluation.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Regards.
I am 24 years old, and have been having pain in my left armpit and left breast for about 4 months now. The left armpit is also swollen. I use certain dri prescription strength deodorant and when i put it on it burns and itches. Could it have somehow gotten in through the pores in my armpit and be whats causing the pain? I feel no lumps in my breast but it is extremely tender. Thank you!
Please in the future post your question as an original "post" ..... we don't often read comments that are made on posts especially ones that are 2 years old. I just happened upon yours by accident.  
If you haven't as yet I would suggest that you see your Dr. for a clinical breast examination if you are terribly concerned about the symptoms you describe. From what you say you could be having an allergic reaction to your deodorant and I would suggest that you stop using it for a few days and see if there is any improvement in your symptoms.  Regards ....