Breast Cancer Expert Forum
painful breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

painful breast

About 2 days ago, my right breast became very painful. I started feeling it and there is a small lump there close to my nipple. I had heard that cancerous lumps are not usually painful. I haven't nursed for 15 months; however for the last week, both nipples have been leaking. This feels like a clogged milk duct. It is not red at all, but does seems slightly larger. I'm 28 years old and have 3 children. I had mastitis with my first over 6 years ago. I have recently moved overseas and am hesitant to see a doctor not knowing the language really well. However, if that is necessary, I am very willing to get this checked out. I just wanted some advice first. Thank you for your help.
Dear libbyjoy, This could very well be some sort of inflammation from a clogged duct. However, without examination and further questioning it is impossible to say with any confidence.
It probably wouldn't hurt to apply heat to it for a while to see if it gets better. You could be forming an abscess; it can occur even when not nursing. At your age, and given the description, it's not at all likely to be tumor; however, if it doesn't go away with heat after a few days you'll need to be seen. Heat can be applied by using very warm (not too hot) cloths, changing frequently, for 15 or 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day.
Libbyjoy, I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer, and  besides an area on my mammogram, I had a small lump that was painful.(It sort of felt like an underwire bra that was sticking in me.) Cancerous lumps can be painful! Please have a doctor check your condition. I hope it is nothing more serious than perhaps a clogged milk duct.
a few days ago i had found a hard lump in the upper part of my right breast.  it is painful is that normal?