Breast Cancer Community
painful breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

painful breast

I am 37 years old and have pain in my right breast and sometimes it goes under my arm.  When I press on areas of my breast it hurts.....feels muscular.  However during my last menstrual cycle, my breasts were really tender and I thought I had found a bump closer to under my arm....but I can't find it now.  Today I noticed a red pimple like bump on my areola.  The pain is not always there, the last two days I have hardly noticed it, today it hurts.  Sometimes it feels as though the pain goes down into my arm too.  My left breast area hurts if I push on it, but not as much as the right.
Any ideas?
Hi.
There are breast changes as your hormone levels change during menstruation.  Sometimes, patients experience breast tenderness during menstruation.  There are also times when patients can palpate a breast mass during menstruation, and goes away days after the menstrual cycle.
It would be best to have yourself seen by a physician for proper evaluation.
Good luck.

From your description this looks to be a fibroadenoma most probably. It would be very difficult though to give you a definite diagnosis without a proper clinical examination and some investigations.

Fibroadenoma is a benign lesion which changes in size, pain and tenderness due to hormonal fluctuations as seen with menstrual periods, OCP or HRT use. These are diagnosed on the basis of clinical examination; but in some cases a mammogram or ultrasound would be required.

These are usually managed conservatively or without any surgical intervention that is.
If the pain is still too much, you should try some OTC pain relief medications, wear lose clothes, breast massage and breast exercises to help with the pain.

It would be best to schedule an appointment and see your doctor for a proper clinical examination.
Do let us know how you are doing.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Thank you very much for your help....I do appreciate your response.  I have a doctor's appt scheduled for Monday, but my doctor is very "laid back" and I have the feeling he will say you are fine and send me home!  Should I push for a mammogram and/or ultrasound?  Could this cause what feels like muscle soreness around my breast, armpit, and even arm sometimes?  I was also on the birth control pill to try to make my menstrual cycles less miserable, just for 3 months, but I stopped taking them this past month.
Thank you again.
To give yourself peace of mind, get a mammogram and ultrasound.  With these doctors you need to demand the treatment you want  and stand up for yourself.

Yes you could be having soreness around your breast for the same reason - take some OTC pain relief medication for a few days and see if they help. Wearing lose clothes, a breast massage and breast exercises should also help.

If you are still not convinced, you should in fact insist on a mammogram or ultrasound. This would at least help you with your fears.

Do let us know about your progress.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Thank you again!!!

I will try taking Advil and see if that helps!!  Any suggestions on what kinds of breast exercises and massage should be done?
I will update after Monday.
Thank you again for your response. I saw the doctor today and he did an exam and figures it is caused by two things.  One is fibroadenoma, as he did an exam and there were no lumps to be found.  He also figures that the pain is not in my breast right now but in my ribs.  He said I have costochondritis which is causing this pain.  It seems to make sense and was quite certain that my breast is fine, there is no lumps and i will take ibuprofen for the pain right now.  Thanks again.

Having a diagnosis at hand makes you feel betetr already - i hope that is the case in your case atleast!!

Do continue with the pain relief medication as and when required, but remember to take it after meals and never on an empty stomach.

Stop taking them if you have reflux or gastritis symptoms and consult your doctor.

About the breast massage and exercises it would be best if you could ask your doctor to help you schedule a couple of sessions with a physical therapist.

Do let us know how you are doing.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.