Breast Cancer Expert Forum
painful left breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

painful left breast

I'm 34 & healthy...
My left breast has started leaking a clear type of discharge on its own... not enough to where I need to wear padding in my bra... enough for concern, I guess?

Also, I'm having pain in my L. Breast... When doing a self breast exam it is very tender & I think I feel a knotty type of lump??

I've scheduled an appt. w/ my Dr, but until then, does anyone have any advice, to put my mind to rest??

Dear chenrygo, Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors
If by clear you mean like water, as opposed to yellowish, it may be that some form of biopsy or at least sampling of the fluid will be done. By far the majority of women with discharge  -- even bloody discharge, which is the kind most associated with cancer -- DON'T have cancer. But watery discharge is on the list of types that need to be checked carefully. The odds are extremely high that it's ok; but it can't be said for sure until things are done to check carefully.
A related discussion, painful breast lump with dark nipple discharge was started.