Breast Cancer Community
painful lump and swelling of areola

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

painful lump and swelling of areola

I recently went through a huge amount of stress, got sick, and married in south lake tahoe during a huge storm. On the way home my right nipple began to feel sore and by the next day it was the area around the nipple on one side was inflammed. I began taking antibiotics that I had and by the next day the inflammation was gone but the sore lump was still there. I have read many things recenlty and I plan to see a Dr. tomorrow. My question is if male breast cancer can just one day flare up like that? My mom is prone to cysts, and there is no breast cancer in either family tree. I am also prone to cold sores and infections when I am under stress, could it all be related?

The chances are more in favour of this being benign and not malignant.

The lesion starting to heal with antibiotics is a good sign and signifies an infective cause of the inflammation and sore lump.

The inflammation is usually the fastest to rspond as is in your case, but you would need to continue the antibiotics for a few more days for complete resolution of the lump.

If you associated pain take pain relief medications.

It would be advisable to go ahead with your appointment, see what the doctor has to say and get a proper clinical examination done.

What antibiotics are you taking?

Ask the doctor if warm compresses would help in your case.

This does not seem related to your mother's condition and also male breast cancer is not known to flare up suddenly - but usually presents a lump, nipple discharge or skin changes.

Do keep us posted about your health.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Thank you for your responce. I am taking Cephalexin four times a day. I started that yesterday but before that I was taking old antibiotics (amox) that I had left from a tooth thing. The inflammation is gone but the lump is still there and sore to the touch. The DR at the college (34 and still in college) is still concerned that it could be gynecomastia since I have a history of marijuana use althought that doesn't flare up like this.

How long should the lump take to begin to shrink now thta I am on proper anitbiotics?

As with many people I'm sure the fear will be here until it resolves.

Thank You

I do understand about you worrying about your health.

You need to consult a breast specialist and an endocriniologist if the doubt of it being gynecomastia has arisen - also, your history of marjuana use.

But till you get your appointments it would be best to continue taking the medication for 10-14 days at least.

What did the doctor say about the medications you were taking? Did he prescribe any tests?

Do let us know about your progress.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.