Breast Cancer Expert Forum
painful lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

painful lump

i am 31 yrs old, and have a painful lump in my left breast. i can feel it when i'm standing, but cannot feel it when i lie down. what could this be? it pains when i press it hard and mess with it. i can also move it and really pains before the periods. i'm really scared about it.
  • New lump (3 replies):
    November last year a lump was discovered on my left brea...[more]
  • Very large breast lump (2 replies):
    I am 19 years old and have had a lump in my breast since...[more]
  • Papable Lump (2 replies):
    Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm 28 years old. I recently ha...[more]
  • lump (1 replies):
    i had a ultrasound done on my left breast b/c of a lump ...[more]
  • underarm pain (1 replies):
    I have been having pain in my arms that is now running d...[more]
Dear nancypv, Several conditions could be the cause of a lump, and it does not mean there is a cancer problem.  However, it is impossible to say what this is without further evaluation.  It is always a good idea to have a new lump checked out by a health care professional, just to be sure of what this is or if further evaluation is required.
painful lumps are much more likely to be innocent than they are cancer. Cysts are often painful. However, the only way to find out is to have it examined. Don't fail to do so!!!
Everyone's experience varies.  The lump I felt in my breast could only be felt when I stood up.  It could not be felt when I was lying down.  Insist that your doctor tries to feel it when you are standing.  My lump turned out to be cancer and it, too, hurt.  Everyone told me not to worry because the lump didn't fit the "profile", 1 1/2 years later they decided to do a biopsy and, guess what?  I really don't want to scare you.  Whatever they tell you, make sure you are satisfied.  If you want to ask me anything, please post again.  Best of luck to you, Susan M K
thank your for your comments and advise
i'm actually very confused and worried. susan, i was just wondering what the chances of survival would be if i was diagnosed of cancer. this thought scares me a lot.
Nancy, Sorry, I don't know the answer to that and I'm not sure anyone would at this point.  You need to go see a doctor.  If it is cancer - and it's probably not - it would depend on what type of cancer and how big it is and all sorts of variables. (Your chances would probably still be very good).  The lump I had was only in the one breast, it didn't show up well on the mammogram and sonogram and the doctors wouldn't do a biopsy -they were so sure it wasn't anything. I really wish I had insisted they biopsy it.  Don't waste anymore time, make an appointment with your doctor.  Best of luck and keep asking questions.  Susan