Breast Cancer Community
papillary lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

papillary lesion

I have been diagnosed with a papillary lesion.  I have lots of pain on the breast with the lesion.  I had 3 mammograms and 2 ultrasounds in the last 14 months.  The mamograms  and ultrasounds did not show anything except breast calcifications. Now I have a lump based on a 3rd ultrasound and after a biopsy of this lump, the results show the pappilary lesion.
I am scheduled for surgery in a week for removal of the lesion.
My question is if anyone out there had this issue and what to expect from the recovery? Is it painful?  Also, I only had an ultrasound at the docotor's office that showed anything.   She did not order any additonal mammograms or any MRIs before surgery.  Is it ok to go into surgery without any other tests?
An intraductal papilloma is a non-cancerous wart-like growth within the breast tissue.Ideally surgical excision of the papilloma and a segment of the duct where the papilloma is found, through an incision at the edge of the areola is the treatment of choice.This is a benign condition, however it needs to be removed completely to make sure that no abnormal cells are present.
It really is a minor surgery that would be done as an outpatient and the recovery time is minimal.You will not feel pain because you'll be under general anesthesia,and your recovery prospect after treatment is excellent.The nurse will give you all the instructions you'll be needing on how to care for your breast when you go home.  
You really don't need any further testing since you already had a biopsy which is the most valuable test for a correct diagnosis.The standard procedure is to place a tiny stainless steel or titanium clip on the spot where the tissue was sampled.
The clip serves as a landmark to identify the area that was biopsied.The surgeon can use the clip as a bull's-eye marker during surgery and remove the lesion..
Wishing you all the best and prompt recovery  :)
Should Papillary lesion be painful? My breast always hurts like if I had take a hot iron and burned it. I hurts from the nipple down to the side of my ribs.
Hi again,
The most common symptoms of breast duct papilloma are:
1) misshapen breast
2) Breast lump
3) Breast pain
4) Nipple discharge or tenderness.
If the site of the biopsy is not red or swollen then your breast pain
could also be due to the biopsy you had.During the procedure some nerves get irritated or damaged and they can take a while to heal.Gradually the pain will eventually subside.
Try not to worry too much....this kind of lesion you have is common and I am very hopeful that you'll be just fine...
Take care...
I had my surgery for the pappiloma.  I actually had two of them. I will get my results within a week.  Just wanted to post to anyone reading this that the surgery was not bad. The surgery took place at 3:30PM and I was home by 7:30pm. The actual surgery lasted about one hour.  One thing that worries me is that my doctor told me that I had one pappiloma before surgery but after the surgery she stated that she removed two and they were larger than she expected.  I still do not understand why mammogram did not show these in the last year (I had 3 mammograms for breast pain and two ultrasounds) and even the surgeon only saw one in ultrasound before the surgery at her office.  During surgery ultrasound, she found another!
Glad to know that your surgery went well and I hope that the pathology results will state benign findings.
A mammogram often does not show a Papilloma,but my understanding is that Ultrasound can be helpful,but also has it's limitations and what it can pick up.
The important thing now is that your Surgeon has found the second Papilloma  during surgery and removed it.
We'll be waiting with you for the results and wishing you all the best!