Breast Cancer Community
papilloma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

papilloma

i've been diagnosed with intraductal papillomas, having had no symptoms.  surgery is recommended, and i'm wondering if anyone has had any other treatment.  because i've got multiple papillomas, it will require fairly extensive breast surgery.  i would love to hear from someone who's had similar experience, including surgery for this.
thanks so much.
Intraductal papillomas  are non-cancerous wart-like growths within the breast tissue. These usually affect the lactiferous ducts and do lead to nipple discharge. Ideally surgical excision of the  papilloma and a segment of the duct where the papilloma is found, through an incision at the edge of the areola (the pigmented region surrounding the nipple) is the treatment of choice.
thanks so much.  i appreciate you confirming the information i have.  
on the mammogram, it looks like an explosion of papillomas in at least a quadrant of my breast... i suppose a surgeon will best advise...
You need a surgeon's consultation but not on an urgent basis.
Probably you may be offered some date for surgery by he doctor. It is minor surgery and you can relax.
thanks again.  your comments are very helpful, which is quite a gift.  how 'bout you?!
i live in remote alaska and will have to travel to seattle (could also be portland or anchorage) to meet with a surgeon.  any recommendations/ideas on this one?
Basically a surgeon is the best person for breast diseases. If at all you need an surgical intervention it can be done.
The other way around could be to have an telephonic conversation and seek his advice and confirmation about the surgical dates.
As already suggested,  You need a surgeon's consultation but not on an urgent basis.
I just got my biopsy results and also have the papilloma diagnosis.  My doctor recommends removal since it can increase your risk of cancer down the road.  When you look up surgeons in your geographical area, look for one with a specialty in breast disease.  Mine is also experienced in reconstruction, so she is going to try to keep my breast as intact as possible.  I had decided though, if the tumor was cancerous, I could easily lose my breast in exchange for a longer life.  I can sacrifice a normal smooth breast so that I don't have to worry about getting breast cancer.