Breast Cancer Expert Forum
pea size lump in armpit

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

pea size lump in armpit

I'm 34 yrs old, in general good health.  However, 40pds overweight.  No history of any cancer in my family.  I work out 40 mins everyday.  This past Saturday the 26th, my left armpit area was irritating me, I say irritating because it felt like a razor burn.  I felt my underarm and found a pea size lump.  I did a self breast exam and do not feel any other lumps.  On Thursday the 24th, I did shave my underarm, with a week old razor.  The lump is small, hard, and I don't have to press down on my skin to feel it, the skin feels somewhat raised, but the lump also feels alittle deep.  It does hurt when I touch it and for a little while afterwards, but then pain goes away, at times it can be alittle itchy.   I've looked in a minor and don't see really anything out of the ordinary, such as a sore.  I know that it can be many thing, cyst, in grown hair, even a sign of breast cancer.  I've never had an in grown hair so I'm not sure if there would be obvious signs of that.  Looking for advice on how long I should wait to see a doctor, and should I go to a Dermatolgist or Gynologist.  And what else could this be, I feel healthy otherwise.  However, because of this lump, I'm now obvious a nervous reck!  Please give me some advice and THankyou for bring this forum back.
Dear jakey2:  Skin in the breast and armpit area is like skin in every other part of the body.  Skin abnormalities, or "bumps" may arise from time to time, particulary in an area where there could have been some irritation.  There is a long list of possible causes, and a quite likely cause is irritation or inflammation from the shaving episode that you describe above.  In many cases, these things will resolve on their own over a week or so.  However, since we cannot evaluate this, if you are concerned, you should see your doctor (your primary care doctor would be a good first start) for evaluation.  This would be especially important if the lump hasn't disappeared within two weeks or if it enlarges and becomes increasingly sore.  Irrespective of the lump going down, we recommend careful breast self examination and many women should undergo mammography as a screening tool - you should discuss this with your own doctor.
I HAD SILICONE INPLANTS PLUS MINUS 10 YEARS AGO.  THEY HAD TO REMOVED MY BRESTS BECAUSE OF LUMPS AND THE RESULTS WAS FLAT BREASTS. I HAD ONE LUMP REMOVED 2 YEARS UNDER MY ARMPIT BUT IT WAS CLEAN.  THERE IS AGAIN ONE UNDER MY ARM MORE TO MY RIGHT BREAST.  THE SIZE IS ALMOST A FINGER NEAL SIZE.  MY MOM HAD BREAST CANCER AND HER SUSTERS ASWELL.  I AM FEELING WELL, JUST SOMETIMES MY BODY WILL FEEL LIKE I HAVE FLUE, MY BODY WIIL PAIN AND MY LIMFS WILL BE SWOLLEN. MY WIGHT IS 48KG AND I AM A PROFESSIONAL RUNNER. I HAVE BEEN FOR A MOMOGRAM 2 YEARS A GO AND I WAS CLEAN. I AM STILL HAPPY WITH THE INPLANT ALTHOUGH THEY ARE MORE LOWER NOW. DO YOU THINK THAT I MUST STILL BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR CANCER.  I AM NOE SMOKING AND NOT DRINKING AT ALL.
hello,

My 19 year old son has a large lump under his arm. It is about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide... A few years ago I took him to the doctors and they said there was nothing wrong that it was a swallon lymph node.. They said that it will go away, well it didn't I kinda didn't think anything of it until the other day when he took a shower he came out and lifted his arm to scratch his back. I saw the lump and he said it has always been there and that it doe's not hurt at all. I make an appointment but wont be seen until next week. Any idea's what it could be? Everywhere I look online is bringing me to cancer sites... Any info would be greatly appreciated
i am 16 years old. a few months ago i noticed a small lump in my left arm pit, it did not hurt or anything, and it was only the size of a pea so i did not think anything of it, but recently, it has gotten larger, and is now about the size of a marble, and it has gotten sore. i have no clue what it could be, so any help would be very much appreciated. should i talk to a doctor or is there nothing to worry about?
A related discussion, Should lumps always be removed? was started.