Breast Cancer Expert Forum
phyllodes tumor removal
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

phyllodes tumor removal

I have a few questions about Phyllodes tumors. I'm a 32 year old woman, I saw my family physician about a year ago with a small mass in my left breast, since then it has gotten much larger and I've been to a Dr. at a breast health clinic, he did a hollow core needle biopsy (which yielded no result) and then sent me for an ultrasound to determine size and shape. He phoned me this morning stating that the ultrasound confirmed it was a Phyllode (I didn't think an ultrasound could confirm the type of tumor) and he said that I needed to have it removed as soon as possible, he will set up my surgery for some time within the next two weeks. He stated that because of the size of it (about the size of a lemon - 17cm or so) the sugery will be a partial mastectomy.

During our brief phone conversation this morning my Dr. told me that this tumore is most likely benign, he says it has to come out because of its size and because it will just continue to get larger. I have read up on these types of tumors on the internet (not always the best source of accurate info, but its all I had)... I read that even though most Phyllode tumors are benign they are still classified as a type of cancer because the cells can easily turn malignent, is that true, please explain further? If the tumor is completely removed along with a margin of healthy tissue can I expect to be clear of it, or can there be future occurences, and can the future occurences turn malignent? What should I expect as a result of a partial mastectomy, my Dr. said he will try to conserve as much breast tissue as possible, but I fear I'm going to have a drastically different shape/form after this surgery. How/where would the incision be and does the breast resume a normal round shape after some has been removed or will it have a hollow section?

any info or answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you.