Breast Cancer Community
port placement for chemotherapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

port placement for chemotherapy

What does a port for chemo look like placed in the chest? Is it painful to insert the needles into this site for bloodwork and chemo?
Does it leave a big scar, assuming that it will eventually be removed?
Rather than try to explain in words may I suggest that you put Chemo Port in "search" where I'm sure you would be supplied with pictures. You might also ask this question of your Oncology Team and I'm sure they would be more than happy to explain as well as show you the actual port. The placement would be done either with local anesthesia or under light sedation.  Regards .....
I have a port that the dr. placed under my right arm pit.  I don't even know that it is there and chemo tx and blood work is much less painful than through IV.  You should ask the dr. if he/she can place it there, I would definitely recommend it
I had a port cath in my chest about two inches down from my shoulder. So, it sounds like you're a fan of needles just like me!

You should have two choices for needle insertion for chemo. I chose the "freeze" method because I really have an aversion to needles.. can you believe I even survived this experience? :) The freeze method involves them spraying a freezing chemical on your port site and then they insert the needle. The other option is to let them just insert the needle with no spray. I've had it both ways and I prefer to just stay away from needles :)

Best wishes