Breast Cancer Community
post mastectomy pain syndrom(syndrome)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

post mastectomy pain syndrom(syndrome)

Hi, I had a DCIS type  6cm x 4 cm large Breast cancer and i had a total mastectomy. No chemotherapy or/and radiation Er/PR negative.
Except for the unpleasant numbness and light pain, I was ok until mid febr ( one year after the surgery) I could do my dancing, exercising! But for a few month, I started to have this stabbing burning intermitent pain, when changed positions, or especially in the evening or night time. I cannot stand any clothe on the scar!! I have a scar tisue-I think and reading around I categorized myself on PMPS . I went to my onc, she sent me for a bone scan &X-ray, and bone cancer was eliminated. She asked me to return to my family doctor, who does not have PMPS experience but recomended me Elavil 20mg/day. I take them for 3 weeks and I don' see any change.
Question:
1)How long I have to wait on Elavil until it will show improvement?
2) I asked an appointment to my surgeon, maybe he can perform some cortizon injection or surgery to remove what I think that is a neuroma
3) What else new came out for my condition?
4) Is there any chance to heal by itself?
Any opinion is very welcomed!! Please, anybody had similar simptoms and it was resolved? I continue to work, is the only place where my job takes my mind from the pain
Batsheva

This discussion is related to Post mastecomy pain syndromw.
You can search out a Pain Clinic in the Yellow Pages .... you may or may not need a referral. I would pick a Pain clinic and call to ask whether a referral was required. You may be able to make you own appointment.    Regards and You're Welcome.
If I were you I would make an appointment at a Pain Clinic .... there you will find the best solutions to the pain you describe. Physicians there are most often Anesthesiologists and there are several methods of controlling these pain syndromes. I feel that drugs are not much of a solution when you're dealing with long term issues. They do the Steroid Injections you spoke of and are experts at this type of therapy.  Good Luck ......
thank you very much!
On may 19th, also my B-day:-) I will ask the surgeon if he knows what clinic I can go to!
I am developing now a strategic plan, how to approach doctors!!

i feel that comming here opens my eyes and give me directions!!

thanks :-)))
Unfortunately, today, at my appointment with the surgeon, I found out that I have a lump, and it was not PMPS, as I diagnosed myself!
He sent me to  CT SCAN, and from there he will tell me what's next!
I mentioned that I had 15 month ago a radical mastectomy! and my Cancer type was DCIS with NO radiation, chemotherapy or any medication ( ER/PR negative)

I am now depressed, but in the other hand, I don't know yet if it's a recurrence or nothing serious! And ,besides, I feel that I am taken care of!

I will keep you informed, and turn back to you after I will know more!!
Have a wanderful day! It's finally spring in Toronto

Will be anxious to hear your results and hope as you do that it is something harmless. We'll be here to help in any way we can and it sounds as if you are receiving excellent medical care. Keep a positive attitude .... Kindest regards ...

So sorry to hear about this new worry!

I hope everything will turn out okay.

We'll be keeping you in out thoughts--we care!

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

Thank you ladies,

I started to have some doubts, and so much I need a second opinion! Actually, if my fam dr and onc dr did not see any lump, and a 1/2 year ago, even the same surgeon said that what I felt then is not a lump, but I can feel my rib since no breast there anymore!! I started  to think that he is wrong, and eventually maybe I will ask a biopsy !!

Have a nice weekend! Here in Canada, we have Victoria (the  queen) day!

Batsheva
So, back to the topic! :-)
A CT scan complimented by an ultrasound prove me wrong, and indeed, it was found that I have a (new?) lump, under my scar !
On 28th June I will undergo a biopsy to determine the type of the lump and from there, much possible a lumpectomy,. I just hope that the new surgery will solve the pain wich is so debilitating
Huggs to you dear sisters
Thanks for the follow-up.

I hope all goes well with your biopsy.

We'll be thinking of you!

Warm regards,
bb
Dear ladies,
Now, I am over the CT scan and followed by ultrasound and both imaging showed indeed a 4.4 cm x 2.7 cm lump. I had the biopsy and it came out negative for malignancy!! ( the doctors suspected a a wall chest cancer)
I have my follow up appoinment in the end of the monh. I started to take homeopathic remedies Bryonia 30C and some relieve with them, but I am not ye back to a painless life. (the worst is in the nigh or when I get up or change positions)

Have a beautifull summer weekend!!:)

Batsheva
Thanks for sharing your news of a non-malignant finding--you've made my day!

Hope you are able to obtain better pain control and quality of life.

By the way, have you had your Vit D level tested?

Beautiful day here today, but temps in the 100s predicted for Monday and Tuesday. :-(

Regards,
bluebutterfly
Thanks again! :-)

I take 1000units/day Viamine D, and hope that is enough. I just came back from the family Doctor and he said that is not a good ideea to take Tramadol for pain management since it is addictive and not for long term pain. He said that probably I will have to take hydrocortizon shots, but this is up to the surgeon who I will meet on July 26th.

From this point, probably I need to search for "scar tissues" and not for PMPS. I wish only to have a clear diagnosis! Too mmuch confusions, right? :-))

Huggs
Batsheva
Hi again,

The reason I inquired about whether you have had your Vit D level tested is that low levels seem to be associated with  risk for BC, as well as joint pain and several other conditions.

For this reason, some breast surgeons and oncologists have begun trying to get their patients up to a moderate-to-high level (such as 70), not just to the minimal level that rules out deficiency.

A recent, small study seems to suggest that Vit D may also play a role in affecting the prognosis for BC patients, not just the risk for developing BC in the first place.  

In the study, presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, a team from the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) tracked 155 women who had surgery for breast cancer between January 2009 and September 2010.

The team examined blood tests that provided vitamin D levels for all the patients in the one-year period before and after surgery. They also analyzed relevant patient breast cancer data, such as age, race, cancer stage at diagnosis, menopause status, gene expression, and estrogen and progesterone status.

The researchers found an association between low vitamin D levels (less than 32 milligrams per milliliter of blood) and poor scores on every major biological marker used to predict a breast cancer patient's outcome.

"The magnitude of the findings was quite surprising," lead researcher Luke J. Peppone, research assistant professor of radiation oncology, said in a URMC news release. "Based on these results, doctors should strongly consider monitoring vitamin D levels among breast cancer patients and correcting them as needed."

The amount of Vit D someone takes does not automatically guarantee an adequate blood level.  This can only be determined though a blood test.

Best wishes,
bb