Breast Cancer Expert Forum
post radiation treatment

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

post radiation treatment
I feel incredibly dumb for asking these questions.
Following radiation treatment I was told not to use hormonal contraception (which isn't an issue at present) and that I may not be able to breast feed.
Are you able to explain these briefly for me?  (I have only had one duct removed followed by a partial mastectomy and now radiation treatment).

Thank you for your time.
J
Dear Jaquta:  Radiation is not a contraindication for hormonal contraception.  However, breast cancer is, especially if the cancer had positive estrogen or progesterone receptors.  You should discuss your specific situation with your doctor who can explain more accurately as it relates to you.
Thanks very much for your time and response.

I'll be sure to make a list of questions and concerns to take to my doctor.

Health issues can be overwhelming and cause confusion.

Thanks again for your time and input.

J
A related discussion, 3rd Mammogram in 1 week? was started.