post reconstruction pain
I had a mastectomy in 2002 and reconstruction in 2005.  I am now having sharp/intense pains in the reconstructed breast.  It feels like sharp pin pricks on the top side and occurs randomnly several times a day.  What could be causing this discomfort?
Hi there.

Though the aim of all of these surgeries is to improve cosmesis, appearance and functionality, it may be inevitable that there can be damage to some nerves during the operations.  Nerves are unavoidable severed during the operative process and this may explain part of the symptoms that you are presently experiencing.

The pain may also in part be explained by the kind of reconstruction done.  If muscle and skin flaps are used (such as TRAM) then there is a possibility of fat necrosis occuring in the reconstructed breast.  If silicone implants are used, then the implants themselves may be compressing on some structures.

I would suggest that you have this checked by your surgeon just to be sure there is nothing serious to worry about.

Regards.
     Thank you for your reply.  
     It was a TRAM reconstruction and I haven't had these symptoms until just recently which makes me wonder why now-3 1/2 years later.  Would you please explain fat necrosis for me?  
     Thank you again.
Thank you for your reply.  
     Thank you again.
Fat Necrosis is a lump that sometimes forms due to damage to the fatty tissue of the breast. It is a benign condition and does not increase a woman's risk for breast cancer.