postmastectomy fat necrosis and seroma
I've had bilateral mastectomy 2 months ago due to IDC in left breast,1.5 cm,grade 1, stage 1, N0M0. I am 47. No chemo yet, waiting for a second opinion. Three Sentinel nodes were removed during surgery on my left side-negative. I developed a seroma on this side in my armpit which was partially drained twice( both times 20cc) under ultrasound guidence,and came back again. Moreover, I have a lump about 4 cm in length under the lt insicion. I feel pressure, burning and pain in this area. I asked a Radiologist what it looked like on the ultrasound when she was draining my seroma and she said that I had fat necrosis and that I should not worry about it. When I mentioned it to my surgeon he seemed not concerned about it. My questions are: 1. Fat necrosis symptoms will go away on their own or something should be done. I have a feeling that I need a second opinion regarding this. 2. My sergeon told me not to drain seroma any more, since they were not able to get all the fluid both times due to liquid been too thick. He said that if I can tolerate a discomfort, it should go awaywithin 6 months. Please, let me know if doing nothing is the right approach regarding fat necrosis and seroma. Thank you.
Both problems are not all that uncommon post-mastectomy. Seromas will usually resolve themselves within a few months. To keep aspirating often just encourages more fluid production ... if left alone the small amount of fluid will be re-absorbed and the tissue surfaces will "stick" and leave no space for fluid accumulation. Many things are best left alone and given time to resolve on their own.   Regards ....
don't know, have similar problem, long lasting seroma, then long lasting fat necrosis (so I told), growing and more painful, got 2d opinion today, said get biopsy 2 views, but unsure, what did you do? medical team had said do nothing all the while it has been getting larger and more chronically/constantly painful...