Breast Cancer Community
prickly feeling in back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

prickly feeling in back

I have a lump in my breast..i am 23 ( i believe it may be a cyst or an hormornal imbalance b/c its movable and hurts or feels tender around my period) im going to the doctor soon to get checked out but also on the same side as the lump on my breast i feel a prickly feeling in my back(sometimes i feel a bit of tightness)..can this be due to the lump? what could this be?
I suppose the tingly feeling you mention could be associated with the lump if somehow a nerve was involved. It could also be non-related. From your description the lump may very well be a Fibroadenoma; a benign breast tumor that is quite common as are cysts. Both can be connected to hormone levels in the body. It's always best to have anything of this nature checked out by your Physician. An Ultrasound can usually indicate what the lump may represent. Regards ...
thanks..im going to make a doctors appointment next week..just a bit scared
if a nerve was involved and its just a cyst or benign lump, how will they treat it?
Cysts and Fibroadenomas both are either just left alone OR surgically removed. If it can't be determined to 100% certainty by film then perhaps a biopsy might be done. Cysts can on occasion just be drained if they are troublesome. It could just be pressing on a nerve, thus causing the tingling feeling you have. This of course may well be due to something else ... like a pinched nerve somewhere along the spine. I don't think there is anything to be terribly scared of here but you definitely need to investigate this problem. Regards ....
ok thank you..im going to the doc next week..also around my period my breast seem to be tender and sore and the lump becomes a bit sore a few weeks before

can pinched nerves anywhere in the body cause a tingling sensation or stiffness?
Sure, pinched nerves can cause all sorts of sensations from actual pain to tingling. Nerves are very sensitive little creatures. Breasts are usually tender at that time which is due to the hormonal changes that take place.  Regards ....
is there any medication that can repair a pinched nerve?
No, the only solution is to relieve the pressure on the nerve; where ever or whatever it is. Be sure to discuss this with your Dr. when you go. Take care ....
Sorry to keep asking you questions..but how is that done?
No problem, that's what we're here for. First you have to determine IF that is the cause and then determine exactly the nature of the cause by some investigative method ... X-ray or similar types of filming. It's similar to when, say your foot "goes to sleep" or if your arm is in an odd position as you sleep, it has that "prickly" feeling. It all just takes some "looking" for a cause. Please ck. back and let us know what you find out when you see the Dr. ....
Thank you :) I will keep you posted