Breast Cancer Community
prominent parenchymal tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

prominent parenchymal tissue

ultrasound sound results:
left breast:
no focal cystic or solid masses seen
right breast: focal area of prominent parenchymal tissue at 8:00,1 cam from the nipple does not have any suspicious features.was seen previously and appears less prominent,no suspicious solid masses noted.
impression:no significant abnormality detected.routine screening recommanded.
birad:1
what is this prominent parenchymal tissue means? is this precancer? i am 54 .is it normal breast tissue changes at my age? please explain ,i am verry worried even though it says no suspicious features.  my mother had breast cancer at 67 and my sister at 49
leslie5
Parenchymal  breast tissue simply describes dense breast tissue.Dense breast tissue is common in young women as well as in older women.Your breast tissue does not appear to have any suspicious features and the density is even less prominent than what was seen previously.An MRI would have been recommended if something abnormal was found.
BIRADS Category 1:means there is nothing to comment on,since it's a definite benign finding,but routine screening is recommended.
You really have nothing to worry about...just keep the recommended screening as scheduled by your doctor.
Best wishes and congratulations for the Benign finding...
Thank you for your answer,you answered in a verry precise and clear method!!! are you a doctor?
i forgot to mention to you also that i had a mammogram on the same day of my ultrasound.the report :
no dominant mass lesions,suspicious microcalcification or architectural distortion is noted.
no significant change is present compared to the previous mammogram in 2009.
routine yearly screening mammography is suggested ,unless a clinical problem arises beforhand.
why the prominent parenchymal tissue did not show on mammogram? you told me that it describes dense breast tissue,is it the same as hyperplasia? is it normal to have dense breast tissue in one area more prominent than other areas of the breast?
i am reading a lot on the internet and i am going crazy ,,

You welcome leslie..
No, I am not a doctor,but only a member in this Forum.
Whatever I learned is from reading so many comments issued by other very knowledgeable members especially by our Community leader "japdip"to whom I give so  much credit for her amazing common sense,knowledge and excellent advice to all.
Thanks for the compliment though ,and I am glad I've been of some help :)
Take care....
Yes it's normal to have denser tissue in some part of the breast.Sometimes mammograms don't detect everything in the breast,and that's why an Ultrasound usually follows a Mammogram.
I don't quite understand why you are so worried when your tests turned up normal with not even a suspicious finding to warrant a biopsy.You have no Microcalcification or architectural distortion,no lumps and no abnormal cell growth (Hyperplasia)
In my opinion there is really nothing that you should be worried about.
A yearly mammogram recommended by your doctor is done routinely and if you notice any abnormality in your breasts during that time, when you do your self breast exam,then you can certainly see your doctor about it.
Searching the internet can sometimes confuse you more than you could ever imagine.
When something is troubling you it's best to talk to your own Doctor who knows the particulars of your case and can give you the best advice and all the information you need.
Take care..
thank you again zouzi,i really appreciate the effort to answer me again
leslie
A related discussion, Ultrasound results was started.