Breast Cancer Community
question about intestinal pain after transflap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I just read about a woman having to deal with intestinal problems such a feeling like she has just eaten broken glass after she eats. I can relate. After my right breast removal, surgeons reconstructed a new breast with a transflap procedure. Long story short, I ended up in ICU, for 5 day's due to bleeding out of my abdominal jp's. I never got an answer as to why this happened. Since then I have had pain in my belly, before and after I eat for the last 9 years. A gastro internal doc had me swallow a camera, which showed a very angry intestinal tract with evidence of 3 different types of diseases. Only to find when I was given all the blood tests, they came back negative for all the diseases, but positive for many food allergies, that I had never had before. I still suffer to this day and became disabled about two to three day's out of the week. This has been difficult to say the least. Changing food in my diet still has not helped. My doctor is frustrated as well, and finaly gave me meds since it was the only other alternative. Still these have not helped much and burn my stomach at first like a little ball of fire when I take them. Seems like no end is in site, and no miracle cure either.
Well, there has to be an answer to this and I would advise you to see another Gastroenterologist about it. You might take any reports and films that you have when you see him/her. There also may be more allergies than you know about so an Allergist isn't out of the question either. If there are food allergies then you must eliminate ALL those foods from your diet. There is something causing this irritation to your stomach lining and I feel certain the "right" Dr. could treat it. Keep looking; if you are near a large Teaching Hospital get a referral and go there.  Regards ....
Thank you for the time you have taken to get back to me. I do have a teaching hospital near me, I will have to see what I can do.
Thank you again.
wizard123
That's super ..... an excellent place to get answers; in a teaching institution they always tend to look further into things for the obvious reason .... Education.   Good Luck