Breast Cancer Expert Forum
radiation
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

radiation

by the time i start radiation it will be almost 6mos, after my lumpectomy. isn't this too long? i would think any stray cancer cells it's suppose to get rid of would be gone by then. should i still do it? i had a stage 1,grade 3, estrogen positive lobular tumor.
Related Discussions
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear reneebillj, Treatment of breast cancer after surgery is called adjuvant therapy and is used to try to prevent or minimize the growth of microscopic deposits of tumor cells that might grow into a recurrent tumor.  Adjuvant therapy may be referring to hormone therapy, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy.  Typically when chemotherapy and radiation therapy are both given, the radiation therapy is given once the chemotherapy treatment is complete.  This is usually months after the original surgery. There may be other reasons as well that the radiation therapy was postponed such as problems with healing of the incision, and postponement of the radiation was necessary.    You should discuss your individual situation with your radiation oncologist.

2 Comments
Blank
Hi - I was dx with an invasive ductal tumour Jan 2003. Had lumpectomy and then total axillary removal. Chemo for 4 months, then a month to sort out my Crohn's. I think I started radiotherapy in the mid Oct 2003, so that was 9 months since dx. Pleased to say I am doing fine now.
Liz.
Blank
A related discussion, postponing radiation was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
17 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank